Thread: Wordpress site development, but haven't propagated domain name yet. Problems?

Registered

Cool Wordpress site development, but haven't propagated domain name yet. Problems?

Hi,

I'm developing a Wordpress site for a client, but they want their current website to be up and running until this one is ready.

Am I going to have problems once I point the nameservers to the new Powweb developed site? Or, will the server take care of all the links.

In other words. Will I have to change all links from. domainnamecom.powweb.com to domainname.com---image paths, links, etc. or does Wordpress or possibily the server automatically handle that.

Thanks

The servers don't make that change, you'll have to do it yourself.
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmaker View Post
    The servers don't make that change, you'll have to do it yourself.
    Ouch! That's rough. I may see if there's a plugin that could help. There will end up being thousands of links on this site.

Such a change/edit could be pretty much totally thru text editor automation, but it sounds like you're talking about a lot of files to be edited, and these would of course need to be downloaded to your local machine. Good luck on whichever path is taken!
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

its a 3 step formula:
    1. change your site/home url
    2. update domain name in ur plugins
    3 use search and replace plugin to change it in posts

PowWeb Staff
    WordPress saves the domain name that the site was originally installed to in the configuration. If you point domainname.com to domainnamecom.powweb.com the main page might load but all the links and images are referencing domainnamecom.powweb.com and clicking a link will cause it to revert to this URL.

To change this there is a walk through on WordPress's site:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL

You can also run a find and replace query in the database to change all links and update the plugins that have information saved, etc.

The alternative to this would be to install WordPress to domainname.com and change your host file on your computer to point the domain toward our DNS. This would mean that even though domainname.com is not pointing toward our servers for real, on your computer ONLY it would appear as though it does. You would probably have to use a different computer to access the existing site -or- change your host file constantly back and forth.

If these are things you don't want to tackle we do offer Professional Services for a fee to do this kind of thing once it comes time. If you need more information about these options just let me know.
    Melissa
    Technical Support