Thread: Any guidelines for how big a database can get?

Any guidelines for how big a database can get?

We have a VBulletin forum, and are wondering how close we're getting to any size limits/restrictions (eg: in megabyes)? We can't find any documented?

Anyone aware of any?

i dont think there is no set limit . i think they just look at the averag usage and if you are way too over than avg then it may be issue. I think dbs with 2GB etc may not be allowed here.

There is not set limit only reasonable use. If it's over 10Mb you will have problems using Powweb's backup and restore tools. As long as it is spam free, you don't store images in the database, you dump the logs and clean it up a bit, you will probably find it is less than 10Mb.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

croc, you are right.. i have seen huge dbs of size 20 GB etc foe phpbb and media wiki etc when u look in deeper 80% of db is of useless things. Regarding phpbb and wiki usual culprits will be search and text tables which are useless!!!

It is frustrating for responsible database users on shared hosting to have response times weighed down by bloated and spam over-run applications (not you DawnMartin). A couple of years ago Powweb went through and killed off major spam over-run applications many of which were out-of-date phpBB and things improved all around.

For responsible operators search text is a useful feature and doesn't count all that much toward an overall database size.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

We're removed features/data we don't believe are important, and attachments/images etc are now on the file system rather than database. In total of all the tables are now about 665MB within phpMyAdmin.

We will continue to chop away at this, but without destinct guidelines it's difficult. ie: If we aim to always stay below 700MB is that OK or not.

I think If it stays below 700MB then it may not cause issue for size.