Thread: I'm getting really tired of this

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar

I'm getting really tired of this

"This" being referral spam in logs and stats. Basically, my referral stats are useless due to all the spam. Out of the top 100 referrers, 98 are junk. I know why they are doing it, I know that it doesn't benefit them on the Powweb platform since our stats aren't public and therefore are not crawl-able by search engines. I know that it does no real harm to how a real user views our websites. But this "problem" has escalated exponentially over the last year or so.

.htaccess is no solution. The spammers know that their sites show up in the referrer stats no matter what response code they get. 403, 200, 301, 302 -- it's all the same to them because their site shows up in the stats.

My proposal is that we have some way of blocking these hits above htdocs -- kind of a .htaccess thing, but at a level above htdocs. I know I'm probably asking for the moon here. But if I could block all .ru and .ua IPs and referrers from even getting to htdocs my issue would be solved. On the other hand, others want traffic from those IPs and referrers (due to ecommerce, etc.). Therefore my request for a "per-user" solution.

Perhaps a filter on stats is another possibility. Again, if I could filter out those IPs and/or country TLDs that would help tremendously.

Respectfully,
    Kevin
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

+1 .. Yeah powweb should block those Ips or configure their logs in such a way that those .ru domains doent show up in stats......

PowWeb Staff
    Hi Kevin,

I am going to submit this information to our suggestions@powweb-inc.com email address on your behalf. I will put that if not exactly what you are stating that you'd like more features to stop this type of thing via the stats system. I cannot guarantee an outcome or ETA at this time, but I can tell you we take this kind of information serious so we can improve our system to be what our customers need.
    Melissa
    Technical Support

Many thanks, Melissa! Of course just as soon as I B&Med about it the requests just stopped coming. Only 2-3 in the last day-and-a-half. Oh, well.

Kevin
    "Damn... that was fun!"

They must be afraid of you Kevin!

Yeah right. More likely they're all getting together to figure out how to really hammer me!

Knock on wood (my head), the dearth of spam hits on my site continues into the third day. Just 2 yesterday from a US website hosted in Michigan. Since you're closer than me entrecon how'd you like to go over there and take care of that for me?
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Found this while looking for something else somewhat related:
    http://spamcleaner.org/en/misc/spam-referer.html

Would the E=nolog:1 technique be usable on PW? Or could we somehow set it up through .htaccess with the other "Custom Log" line mentioned? (Perhaps with a SetEnvIf statement as per the bottom of this page.)

Apologies for the n00b questions. I'm obviously Apache illiterate/ignorant here and know just enough RegEx to get myself into real trouble real quick (I'm close friends with Error 500 ).

Kevin
    "Damn... that was fun!"

I'm getting everything from Russian Fridges to Hookers in my stats ...I think I raised this issue in a thread called 'From Russia with love' or similar. I wish it would boost my Google Page Rank then I'd court them, until then I wish they would go take a hike to Siberia or something.
    Never trust statistics unless you fiddled the figures yourself!

www.seawitchartist.com

Ha! Yeah, that pretty much covers the Russian Federation spam I get also. Even if PW-hosted stats were public these probably wouldn't help your Google PR or SERPs since Google looks for quality inbound links, which these definitely aren't.

My site is actually getting more hits recently from the 202.46.xx.xxx IP range requesting "[an Oracle product]-[expert/consultant/developer]-in-[a random city]". A typical request looks something like hyperion-expert-in-denver. The requests start at random times during the day but once going I get a similar request every 15 minutes to the second for around 15 hours. Yesterday it was 66 requests. The IP traces back to a Chinese telecom equipment and service provider. But then every once in a while the Baidu spider (yes, the real one) makes a half dozen similar requests without asking for robots.txt first (oops?!). It was just too easy to serve a 403 to the 202.46. IP range, and anything Baidu was already getting redirected to my robots.txt where it is disallowed. Again though, that doesn't stop the requests.

I'm really confused by this one. I understand the reason behind referrer spam, but "request spam"? There's no website/URL so I can't figure out why my little podunk site gets hammered with these requests. I certainly hope Oracle isn't behind this; if so they are really stooping. On the other hand, maybe someone is trying to get people annoyed with Oracle so they'll go elsewhere for software solutions. A really odd way of going about it though. What it comes down to I suppose is "who benefits?" And I can't figure that one out.

Whatever the reason, this goes back to my original point/request stated lo these many months ago. Here's a butt-load (can we say that here? ) of junk traffic that PW servers have to handle, thousands of log files that have to be updated, stats updated, all that information stored, respond with appropriate response code/page etc. etc. What a waste!
    "Damn... that was fun!"