Thread: How am I doing

Post How am I doing

I've only recently mastered FTP...I had some phobia for it for years. A friend used to upload things for me. That's changed now and this past month I've editing mostly to tidy it up, tweak it, and expand it. The whole site is now done except 'The China Tea Chests' pages...that will be along job. I'm still using FrontPage, I don't want to switch to anything else as surely this would blow my search engine results, they are rather good within my field. How am I doing? Feed back appreciated.
    It's at http://www.seawitchartist.com
    Never trust statistics unless you fiddled the figures yourself!

www.seawitchartist.com

I'm not too good at 'design' when it comes to webmastering, but the contrast between the background color and the text color seems good to me.

I will point out though that you shouldn't have any 'plaintext' email addresses on any pages. That's asking for email spam, and if you haven't gotten any yet, go play a lottery somewhere you lucky man. Use a tool such as this - Online Email Protector, to obfuscate the link. Also the label for the first address (your personal address I assume) should be changed to something else, rather than 'alternative Email address'.
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar
    Like Bruce, I'm not strong on the 'design' side. When I read that you were using FP I kind of cringed as many FP pages and sites are recognizable without even knowing they were designed on FP. I was happily surprised with your site though! There's no hint of any of the cliches that mar most FP sites.

Re background and text color. I built a presentation several years ago that has colors scarily similar you yours. Black background, and my font color is so close to yours I dare anyone to tell the difference. [cue Twilight Zone theme] I even used the same font! I guess you could conclude I like your choices

Good luck,
    Kevin
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Thumbs up

Hi Kevin
    Glad you like papyrus...it seems to be loved or hated with nothing in between. On FrontPage, I was advised from the start only to write pages in it, don't rely on it's ability to be used without separate FTP, you could wake up in the morning and find your site all jumbled up!
    Trouble is there was a gliche in me, I couldn't get my head around FTP and relied on a kind friend to do that for me, but that's behind me now so I've been doing loads of things I've wanted to do a long while. Maybe having FTP irons out a lot of the gliches you speak of? I can't get it to post a video though....followed the instructions and nothing happens. I mean by that WMV files.

www.seawitchartist.com

Yeah, papyrus is kinda like MS ComicSans (which I absolutely hate) -- waaaay overused by ignorant people. BUT, in your case papyrus fits the subject and content of your site, and in my opinion was well chosen. In the case of my previously mentioned presentation, it was before papyrus was so overused and reviled and because I was also ignorant and stupid.

Kevin
    "Damn... that was fun!"

OK Kevin...just for you I've changed my signature to Arial!

www.seawitchartist.com

Ha-Ha-Ha!!!

Thanks for the laugh -- I needed it!
    "Damn... that was fun!"