Thread: How can I move a Joomla page to a non-Joomla site?

Registered

How can I move a Joomla page to a non-Joomla site?

I have a website that has a page with a LOT of javascript on it. The script is to create a graphical "selector" tool that gathers info which is then submitted to search routine in php. I'd like to have that page in another site of mine, but I'm not a Joomla person and although I've already copied the .js and .css to the new site, it doesn't work.

The original web designer is not available anymore and I could sure use some guidance as to how to get that page over to my non-Joomla site.
    Thanks!

The easiest way is to navigate to the page in your browser and then "View Source" to see the generated code. Copy that and use that as the basis for you new page. You will have to update the HTML to update any file paths and might have to tweak some other things in the code, but it will give you a decent start.

Registered
    I'm guessing the page has quite a bit of PHP preprocessing being done before it gives me the html. In Wordpress I can get to the editor and see the embedded php code. Is there a way in Joomla to see the php scripting as well? It appears that there's a relavant item in MODULES that is what I want, but I can't see how to edit it or get the any code from it.
    Last edited by wysocki; 2-26-13 at 04:48 PM. Reason: more info

Wordpress core runs on PHP not javascript. Often CMS have a feature that allows users to cut and paste blocks of non-core coding language in. Generally it wraps it in tags ie. <js>javascript code</js> so the CMS knows to present it differently. Joomla does javascript well, Wordpress does not. In the Wordpress plugins section search for "insert javascript" or maybe give us links to your relevant pages/code. I typically find it's quicker and more efficient to manually re-create the form or whatever using the new CMS inbuilt features.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Joomla runs based on a template structure. Within the template you choose there are position place holders. When you activate a module you tell it what position you want it to go in. If a template doesn't have that position, then it doesn't display.

So, basically, all your page is doing as it loads is finding a position place holder in the code and then going out and loading any modules that are supposed to go in that position. If this was properly coded as a module/component most all of the code should be in either the components or modules folder.

One reason it might not be working is that the person that coded it may have code specific to the current website. If they referenced an actual path to where files are located, then it won't work. If they used the Joomla variable that holds the actual file path, it won't work on a non-Joomla site. Unless you actually were to get in and review the code, it is hard to say where the disconnect is.

Registered
    The page I need to reproduce is at: http://duncantaylor.alienationdev.co...mid=4#catid1_0

Specifically, the spider chart on the right. You can slide the buttons for each of the eight criteria to set both a maximum and minimum for each value, then the database is queried for matching rows. I've examined the page with Firebug and can't see what's creating the graph.

As I said, I don't have ftp access but I do have Joomla access and there IS a module named "the octogram" that seems to be what's doing it, but all I see there is the text: "The Octogram breaks the flavour characteristics of whisky down into eight groups that represent a general overview of whisky styles. Use the sliders set a minimum and maximum value for each flavour group. For the most accurate results, set values for at least three flavour groups. The Octogram will then display the whiskies that are the closest match to your personal taste."

If you add a component to Joomla like Joomla Xplorer you can get in and look around at all of the files.

Registered
    Looks like Joomla Xplorer would help BUT I only have administrator level and it requires SuperAdministrator to use it. Darn!!!! When I select if from under COMPONENTS it shows "_NOT_AUTH"
    I also don't have permissions to create a superadministrator user.

Any other ideas?

I would say until you can get more access to your website to be able to actually look at the code and see what they have done, you are out of luck.