Thread: TWO phpBB ?

TWO phpBB ?

Hello.

I have 1 phpBB set up - on a subdomain.

1) is it easy / simple to use the install central to create a totally separate phpBB ?

It will be an entirely separate / different topic to my 1st one.

2) I know about Namespaces & all.

Is it easy to create a separate subdomain & create a separate area of my phpBB - with different template / look / feel - but use the same phpBB ?

Normally, Install Central allows only one version of an application per account installed via IC. Did you install the current version via IC?
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    Normally, Install Central allows only one version of an application per account installed via IC. Did you install the current version via IC?
    I think I did..

Basically, I want a 2nd / unrelated wiki.

of course, if people discover them both on Google - they may see that theres 2 subdomains & 2 wikis - but when a person goes into a wiki - there will be no references at all to/from the other wiki.

(I don't mind if i can admin both in 1 login - or two logins. but thats lower priority)

Yes you can, you can install any number of applications into one database. I strongly advise against it. In fact, I would not be happy with anyone who did so. It's wreckless lazy and stupid.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Quote Originally Posted by Croc Hunter View Post
    Yes you can, you can install any number of applications into one database. I strongly advise against it. In fact, I would not be happy with anyone who did so. It's wreckless lazy and stupid.
    How is it done ? Install 2 wiki's into 1 database. Are there any instructions.

If i create a 2nd Database (MYSQL), would it be best to just copy the structure / tables into a new DB, & then download all the php files & upload to new subdirectory - editing the php files to point to the new DB name ?

from the info i have so far, the last option is the way to go ??.

I'm not going to tell you how to be wreckless lazy and stupid. First you said 2 phpBB, now you say 2 wiki, which is it and just how important is one login? If I understand your original question correctly, you can achieve what you want by creating subforums in a existing forum forcing a second theme. PhpBB is very flexible that way. It would be under 1 login, 1 database, and seemless.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

I'm not going to tell you how to be wreckless lazy and stupid.
    Thats why i'm asking - to find the RIGHT (non lazy) way.

First you said 2 phpBB, now you say 2 wiki, which is it and just how important is one login?
    The login is not inportant - I just pointed it out - to get people thinkimng - *IF* it can be done with 1 admin login, thats fine. If i need 2 admin logins, thats fine as well...

If I understand your original question correctly, you can achieve what you want by creating subforums in a existing forum forcing a second theme. PhpBB is very flexible that way. It would be under 1 login, 1 database, and seemless.
    I want

http://spacewiki.domain.com = a wiki about space travel.

http://donkeywiki.domain.com - a wiki about the common donkey..

(those 2 wiki's are EXAMPLES only, so don't point me to actual wiki's about space & donkeys..)

i want a user to view / see my donkey wiki, and at no point on any screen, will they have a clue as to the space wiki..

i want a user to view / see my space wiki, and at no point on any screen, will they have a clue as to the donkey wiki..

(Except on Google searches - they may realise i have 2 wiki's - thats fine.... )

Can this be done ? Whats the best way ? whats the non-lazy way of doing it ?

That helps but where does phpBB factor in if at all? phpBB is not a wiki. I am not playing wth you Pete. Only trying to learn exactly what you want to do and not waste our time, so I can best help you.

It is possible to create two (upto 75) databases here at Powweb and run any number of applications. To install 75 applications into one database would be putting all your eggs in one basket, when you have 75 baskets. Keep in mind the 75,000 queries/hr hard limit per database. Put two applications into one database and you effectively halve that to 37,500 each. Should you use one user/pass for all 75 databases, all 75 will be accesible via that one login through phpMyAdmin in your OPS control panel.

If you absolutely must install into one database just use the same database name/user/pass as the first install. Not through intstall central. FTP upload and install your second "wiki" manually. For your own wreckless sanity at least give each application a unique prefix.

No matter your setup Google will see both as they see fit and you will have seperate user logins unless you run a bridge between applications. I cannot give more login or setup configuration specific outcomes from the info you have so far provided.
    Croc Hunter MSC :