Thread: Help with renaming inital username in Mysql

Question Help with renaming inital username in Mysql

I set up Mysql actually a few years ago but never used it. In Manage Databases, I have the original username and password in the right pane and one named database in the left pane.

I was worried that the 4 letter username and the 8 character password is not secure enough so I tried to change it but it won't let me change or delete the username. I get a pink pop up that says "Your MySQL database must have at least one login associated with it."

I'm still very new to how databases work so I don't know how to do this without messing something up.

Is it something that Support should do for me or can I simply "Add New User" and then delete the original and give all the privileges to the "new user"? Will it then let me delete the original user?

Thanks for any help on this.

Quote Originally Posted by barbara View Post
    ..or can I simply "Add New User" and then delete the original and give all the privileges to the "new user"? Will it then let me delete the original user?

Thanks for any help on this.
    That's what I would do. In fact, I think I did have to do that exact thing once, many moons ago..

Let us us know if it works that way or not!
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Thanks for the reply

Is there any restrictions on characters, numbers etc for passwords and usernames for Mysql?

Well this link - PowWeb Knowledgebase - How To: Account password may help, as far as format and such.. but the times I've had to create/change a password, I just keep 'modifying' the attempted password (based on the error returned, which displays the right 'format') until it's accepted. Of course, it would be easier to just put a password of the correct format in, but I usually forget to plan ahead in situations like that..

It used to be that there were restrictions on the database names and passwords on Powweb. I was just wondering if that changed. At one time you couldn't use upper case letters etc...

database names:
    http://members.powweb.com/webControl/mysql/manage.bml

Also, the page above is old I think but when I login there using Mysql old username and password it doesn't work. I can still get into Mysql through my OPs though without a password. So is this page outdated and I should only use OPs to get to Mysql?

Okay, here is the pop up I got with my strong password with upper case letters.

Database logins must be 2-16 characters in length. Database logins must consist of
    lowercase letters, numbers, and underscores with at least one non-numeric character.

And.....Yippeee. After I added the new user I set yes to all privileges and was then able to delete the original username. It seemed like I had tried this a long time ago and it didn't work for some reason.

Since I've never used the database yet I don't guess this will hurt anything. Will it?

Thanks for all your replies. It is appreciated.

It shouldn't. Shouldn't. I think the least you might have to do is edit any scripts that were using the old database username and password. It sounds like things are going good so far, so more good luck to you!

What is this?

I never installed anything. I just filled in the username, password and named a database a few years ago and gave up to learn more later.

Where would I look for any scripts?

I was just looking around in MySql and Phpmyadmin and the "Process List" shows something I don't know what it is.

In PhpMyAdmin
    Your SQL query has been executed successfully
    SQL query: SHOW PROCESSLIST

Then there's a table with an ID number, my username, some Host url - bizland.net+number and Command says query. There were two lines like this but when I went back to it there is only one.

Is that some kind of response when I open Mysql/Php or the server or Powweb or have I been hacked?

Can you tell how green I am with all of this?

Normally you would see more tables on the right in phpMyAdmin. As you have never installed anything (eg phpBB or Wordpress) you only see the user-access one created by the default setup.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Hi Croc Hunter. Thanks for the reply. You and dmacminn were very helpful last time I tried installing Zenphoto.

I remember Install Central produced some problems for people when installing things but installing manually just proved to be way over my head so I put it off. I needed a basic understanding of databases.

I'm going to bite the bullet and use SimpleScripts and hope I've set everything up so I don't have many problems installing and getting it working. I'm determined this time because I really need the gallery now.

Cool Zenphoto and SimpleScripts

Just an update about Zenphoto and SimpleScripts.

The Zenphoto site said that installation of Zenphoto would only be done correctly with Version 3 of SimpleScripts.

I asked Support for the SimpleScripts version and they said there wasn't any version but SimpleScripts wouldn't install the latest version of Zenphoto.

I'd have to manually upgrade to the latest version after using SimpleScripts.

Ah, there's the rub. So now I understand why everyone says to install manually.

I just as soon learn how to do a manual install from the get go. Everything is starting to click though.

No matter how you installed you should be able to do a manual upgrade. All you do is upload the latest version index.php file and complete zp-core directory. See upgrading here http://www.zenphoto.org/news/installation-and-upgrading Just make complete file and database backups first.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Thank you!

I'm glad you posted the link. I had read it but would you believe I was reading the wrong section and was stymied by the part that said something about "FTP should be set to merge files". Information overload. When you've never fooled with databases and Mysql before and your site is old html and static it's a lot of info to absorb but I'm cramming.

---------------------------------------------------

So to upgrade....

Backup everything.

Download the updated Zenphoto and unzip the files.

Delete old index.php and /zp.core from the online gallery directory.

Upload the new index.php and /zp.core files into the gallery directory.

Then run setup....

--------------------------------------------------

BTW its says to make sure the .htaccess file is writeable. What does that mean? I have an .htaccess file in htdocs that I've added some things to for my site. Is this the one they are talking about?

Yes you've got it right Barbara. Make copies of your current database and all folder/files. The .htaccess file they referr to is in your gallery directory. Writeable means set that .htaccess file permissions (Chmod) to 777 so the script can modify it via your browser. Just be sure to set it back to 644 when you have completed the upgrade, because you don't want the public being able to access it.

If it all goes wrong and your backups aren't working don't panic, just phone or use the chat link on right of this forums homepage and have support rollback the gallery files and database to a previous time. Then PM me and I'll give you a hand.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

I had family issues that took over the last few days. Thanks so much for the clear directions Croc Hunter. I think I can do that.

It's funny. You start digging at all this stuff long enough and sooner or later it starts to sink in.....with a little help from your friends.