Thread: Unable to access phpMyAdmin for one of my MySQL databases

Unable to access phpMyAdmin for one of my MySQL databases

Is anyone else having issues logging in to phpMyAdmin? For all of my databases, except one, I click on the "Access phpMyAdmin" icon and I'm in phpMyAdmin successfully and can administer it. However, for one of my databases, when I click on the icon, it displays another page and prompts me for my password:

Please verify your MySQL Login information.
    MySQL Login: //database-name//

Any thoughts? The reason I'm trying to access it is that my WordPress site using this db failed about an hour ago:
    Error establishing a database connection
    Internal Server Error

Is it possible someone changed the password? I tried--perhaps foolishly--to set the password using the Change Password icon and set it to what it should be. Nothing changed.
    Stefan Tucker
    12noon.com home of Alarm++ and Display Changer

And now it's back. I guess it was one of those PowWeb glitches.
    Stefan Tucker

PowWeb Staff
    Hi skst,

This can occur if your user was hitting a limit due to high usage. Has your site recently grown in success and traffic?
    To reduce the risk of this reoccurring is is recommended that you remove any extra and unnecessary plugins/modules and check for any unwanted traffic and block IPs.
    Melissa
    Technical Support

Thanks, but my sites are in no danger of hitting any sort of usage limit.

And, even if one did, why would PowWeb crash my site for only a couple of hours? Wouldn't PowWeb send me an e-mail to tell me I'd exceeded some limit and then disable it for the rest of the month?
    Stefan Tucker

PowWeb Staff
    Hi skst,

Our database system has some protection for the servers built in that it just disables access for an hour instead of taking down your entire account. If it isn't a regular occurrence then it is not something where we would email you, because we understand there will be random spikes in traffic/usage. If it was something occurring a great deal of the time then we would need to reach out to inform you of the high resources required to run the site.

This can also be caused by a malfunctioning or outdated plugin that needs to be reinstalled or updated as soon as possible. In these cases the plugin may also have a scheduled time to run and is malfunctioning and/or be leaving open database connections when they should close when access is no longer needed.
    Melissa
    Technical Support

Is there any way that someone could check to see if this is, in fact, what's happening? My site gets very little traffic, and I'd be stunned if it were going over any limit at all. There is nothing in my AWS stats that would indicate unusual resource consumption.

My site was down again for about 30 minutes this morning (starting at 10:30 AM CT). Then it was up once. Now it's down again. That doesn't sound like PowWeb's turning it off.

Update: My site's been down for 80 minutes (except for that moment in the middle).
    Update: It's been down for eight hours now.

Support ticket: 10906687
    Last edited by skst; 3-23-13 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Created support ticket
    Stefan Tucker

It's Sunday and my site is working again. The PW support rep says they reset the password. I don't understand who would've changed the password or why it would work intermittently if that was, in fact, the problem. Also, I created a new database, imported a backup into it, and that one would only work for a couple of minutes before failing in the same way. When I switched back to the original, then it would work for a couple minutes then fail. That doesn't sound like a bad password.

What's special about Saturday?

Update: Taking Support's advice, I looked at the raw AWS log file. It seems one IP each Saturday was hammering my WordPress login page. I've added lines to the .htaccess to block them. Of course, next weekend, it'll probably be a different IP. It'd be nice if PW had some minor protection from DDOS attacks.
    Last edited by skst; 3-24-13 at 08:30 PM.
    Stefan Tucker