Thread: two prefixes in MySql?

Question two prefixes in MySql?

Are there supposed to be two prefixes in MySQL? I was thinking there was only one prefix in a database, but there are 2 in my DB - most of those items appear to be duplicates, in title at least, just different prefixes --- but not everything is a duplicate.

is that the way it should be?

I'm following these instructions to fix a joomla error:
    LINK

That instructs me to edit the user table... but it doesn't say there are two.
    I guess I'll just edit both - but are there supposed to be two?

Looking a little deeper at the tables, it could be that one prefix is for the backend (admin) side of joomla and the other is for the front end... (?)

I just installed Joomla 3.0 and only have one prefix. Is it possible you installed it twice?

I think that must be what happened. There are 3 instances of the same site I've been working on... three joomla installations of the same template. Had troubles with the first install, got frustrated and started a version2 from scratch - now I'm on v3. I thought they each had their own separate DB's, but a 3rd party installed the third time and they must have used the same DB.
    The site is running great except for the user error notification. Not quite sure what to do now... if I should attempt to correct the "mixed" DB... or leave it alone...

PowWeb Staff
    Hi kcvideo,

Make sure you take a backup of the database first. Your configuration file should be able to tell you which prefix you are currently using if the prefix itself doesn't give it away. Then you can drop all the tables not associated with the active site if you like. If it does cause an issue you'll have your backup to import to restore.
    The instructions in the link you provided are pretty straight forward after that but I personally haven't dealt with this error before.

Please note: Joomla 3.x versions require InnoDB which is not a feature we offer for security and resource reasons, so if you installed it on our servers you may run into some issues because of this.
    Melissa
    Technical Support

Thank you Melissa.
    This is Joomla 2.5... There are some extension items in the newer DB that are not in the older site so I can tell which is which now.