Thread: Difference between AWStats and Google Analytics

Registered

Difference between AWStats and Google Analytics

Hi All,

I currently have a weird issue, the stats from AWStats are not the same has my Google Analytics account.

For example:
    AWStats Unique Visitors Count: 35250
    Google Analytics Unique Visitors Count: 55,211

I understand it can be off but by 20 000, what can cause this?

Other time the stats are really close, example:
    AWStats Visits: 97296
    Google Analytics Visits: 97,748

Regards,

Marc

a search with the thread title found this article, which may help you understand the discrepancy...

http://www.devonwebdesigners.com/256...gle-analytics/

Rick
    I enjoyed the article on web statistics that Tony linked to. It had some great information.

What I often tell folks in this situation is that for a webmaster, the absolute accuracy of such traffic analysis tools isn't terribly important. They all tend to be reasonably accurate within whatever limitations they might have. At the end of the day, whatever tools you use, it's mostly the trends in your traffic levels that these tools show that you need to be aware of as you work to improve your website.
    Rick Trethewey

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar
    Yet another reason may be in the raw logs. Sometime in the last year and a half or so PW began doing a "halfway" Reverse DNS on IPs in raw logs but sometimes not. That's the best I can explain it. For example, here's my IP when accessing my site with the Reverse DNS:
    76-253-49-182.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net
    and without it:
    And that's two requests one above the other.

The only commonalities I can find are that requests for HTML, images, and other text-based files get the former (RDNS) recorded in logs, and requests for CGI/Perl and password protected folders (at least protected by .htaccess) get the latter, non-RDNS IP, recorded in logs. It might also be somewhat ISP dependent as well since these commonalities don't always apply. Most of the time yes, but sometimes no.

Anyway, the different IPs for the same user probably makes me "2 visitors" in AWStats or Webalizer or any number of stats packages you can run locally on your computer. I don't use GA so I can't compare with that.
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

I agree with Rick - the trends are likely more important than the actual #'s. Even with Builder's logical explanation, assuming the same is true for all visitors, the trends would remain unchanged.

I didn't read the whole referenced article, it looked pretty detailed, so I don't know if this was covered or not. I was reading a thread on a forum the other day that indicated that certain stats Google doesn't handle well. The one that was being discussed was re-directs. The thread was discussing buying traffic from a source that re-directed the traffic from a large pool of domains they owned. The sellers stats showed the number of purchased hits were delivered, but Google Analytics and a couple of other tracking scripts were not seeing the traffic. A couple of users then pulled their raw logs and did see that they were getting the promised traffic.