Thread: Domain transfers when PowWeb is already my hosting service

Domain transfers when PowWeb is already my hosting service

First off, yes, I already read the thread: "Domain name transfers and Powweb" in this forum. :-)

I've been hosting my domain with PowWeb for over 10 years, but until recently, I was renewing the domain annually with another RSP. Yesterday morning, I called PowWeb tech support, and asked if they could handle the renewal, so the tech said they could do a "manual transfer" from PowWeb's side, without involving the previous RSP.

Unfortunately, soon thereafter, my web site and all my email accounts went dead, and are still all dead today. Email sent to me is bouncing with permanent failures. I opened up a support ticket with PowWeb this morning (a little over 6 hours ago), but I'm still all dead to the outside world.

So, excuse the dumb question, but if my domain was already pointing at PowWeb's servers for the past 10 years, and continues to point to the same place, and all that's changed was the registrar, should I have expected such an outage? I would have left it with the old RSP if I knew this was going to happen.

Thanks,

- Jerry

Hello JLaker, I have put a copy of this thread in a forum more likely to be noticed by a Powweb employee.
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Thank you snowmaker.

After 8 hours and no response on my support ticket, I called PowWeb support, with whom I've been on the phone with for the past 45 minutes (and counting). After digging into it, they determined someone missed a step when they ported my domain registration. So, my already 24+ hour total outage will continue for another 12-24 hours, as they fix it, again, and wait for it to propagate. :-(

Ugh, quite frankly, I'm really regretting giving PowWeb the extra business (not only did I switch my domain registration to here, but I also agreed to a 3-year service plan to get the cheaper monthly rate, vs. the annual plan I've been on for about 12 years). Everything was working just fine prior to this. I just figured combining my domain registration and web hosting into one company would be more convenient for me, and it certainly hasn't been.

- Jerry

I never have my hosting and registration in one place, hate having a single point of failure.

Hopefully they get you up and running pretty quick. Never fun when you are down and things are out of your control.

Thanks entrecon. Trust me, I regret the change. My sites are up, sort of, everything was pointing to the wrong place after PowWeb changed the registration, but I was able to fix all that myself through domain central in ops. Unfortunately, my email is still bouncing. Going on two days with no email, and what's worse is everyone who sends me something gets a permanent fatal error, so it really looks like I'm off the grid at this point.

The techs checked one of my email accounts and found it's working fine, but my primary account still bounces everything. Very frustrating. I can honestly say in 12+ years of hosting with PowWeb, this is the first time I've started looking into other hosting services.

- Jerry

Well, to keep anyone in the loop that cares :-), I'm now on day three since I allowed PowWeb to do the RSP change. More things are working, but most of my email accounts are still dead.

PowWeb's techs have now concluded that my pop email mailboxes are all setup incorrectly. These are the same pop email mailboxes that have been hosted with PowWeb for 12 years along with my web sites and were working fine, but just happened to all break when they initiated the RSP change.

They are now rebuilding my email mailboxes.

Sigh.....

They'll be mostly legacy boxes which is why they'll think they're set up wrong.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    They'll be mostly legacy boxes which is why they'll think they're set up wrong.
    Yup, thanks IanS, I knew it was something with the legacy boxes, I just wish they would answer my question of if this was all set up wrong, how was is it working for 12 years, and why did their RSP change break it?

At this point, most of my mailboxes have been restored. Fortunately, no email was lost, but unfortunately, ALL of my contacts in WebMail are GONE. I rarely use Outlook for my primary account, since I'm checking email from many different PCs and devices. So, I really relied on my WebMail address book. I had 12 years of contacts in there, and they're all gone.

I've opened yet another support ticket to request they get restored. If they can restore my contacts, it begs the question of why I'd need to ask to do that. I mean, if you're rebuilding a mailbox and know to recover the email, wouldn't you also backup and restore the contacts? And if they can't restore my contacts, well, we're going to have a problem.

In the past week, I've had well over a dozen calls and support ticket exchanges with PowWeb technical support, to try to undo the fiasco that their RSP change caused. No longer a happy customer at all.

- Jerry

I'll close out this thread with one final huge thumbs-down for PowWeb tech support. All of my contacts are permanently gone after they rebuilt my mailboxes, which they had to do after they screwed up the RSP change.

Perhaps this can save someone else the headache - if PowWeb tech support ever tells you that they need to rebuild your mailboxes and that all email will be restored after the rebuild, get them to confirm they won't permanently trash all your contacts.

Really unbelievably ticked off at this point.