Thread: Where are the DNS record options?

Where are the DNS record options?

I have a MS 365 trial and I want to use my domain with it. I need to manage my domain DNS records but I can't find the option in my control panel. If I go to 'domain central' I just get the following message:

"Our records indicate that this domain is not manageable through
    DomainCentral:

If you have registered this domain through another provider and would like
    to transfer your domain to PowWeb, please click on the Domain Transfer
    Overview link below on how to proceed.
    If you have registered this domain through us, please contact our support
    team and we'll be happy to make any needed changes for you."

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by invertedflight View Post
    following message:

"Our records indicate that this domain is not manageable through
    DomainCentral:
    You can edit your DNS settings thru your Registar (where you bought your domain name), which is not the one that Powweb uses, as indicated by that message.
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

I registered at DomainIt. Here is the message they sent me before I came here:

"Thank you for contacting DomainIt. I'll be glad to help.

The domain name hansenhobbies.com is hosted on the following nameservers:

NS2.POWWEB.COM
    NS3.POWWEB.COM

Because you are using another provider to host the DNS for this domain, any modifications to individual DNS records (such as an TXT or MX records) will need to be made through that company.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance."

If you registered your domain name thru that company, that is the place where you can edit or change the DNS settings. Login there and goto whatever the 'domain management' is and make the changes you need to make. The Powweb nameservers merely point requests for 'hansenhobbies.com' to your website on iPage. Nameservers do not host websites. I have no idea why whoever there said that said that.

Here is their reply.

"The information provided in our previous email is accurate. Also, the information you provided from Powweb states only that you cannot manage the domain through them. That is correct since the domain is registered through DomainIt. What you need to manage is the DNS records for the domain, not the domain itself. That is handled by the company hosting your DNS records, which again is:

NS2.POWWEB.COM
    NS3.POWWEB.COM

If they continue to be unresponsive, then you can opt to change the Nameservers back to DomainIt which would allow you to manage individual DNS records through us. Keep in mind, once you change nameservers to us, any website or email services set up through the previous provider will stop working.

In order to modify your nameservers, please follow these steps:

1) Login to your Account Manager at https://www.domainit.com/myaccount
    2) Click Domains Overview
    3) Click on the domain name you wish to manage
    4) Under "Nameservers", click on the green "Edit" icon
    5) Click "Delete" next to the nameservers you wish to remove
    6) Click "Use DomainIt Nameservers"
    7) Click "Save Changes"

Once they are changed to us, the Domain Details page will give the ability to modify DNS records under the Advanced Settings section.

If you have misplaced your DomainIt username and/or password, you can retrieve your username and reset your password by following these steps:

1) Go to: https://www.domainit.com/forgot.mhtml
    2) Enter your DomainIt Account email address (iXXXXXX@hotmail.com)
    3) Click Submit

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Best Regards,

name removed, DomainIt"
    Last edited by IanS; 5-29-13 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Removed hotmail address to reduce spammers scraping it. Also removed tech name as per normal forum guidance.

I have two domains that point to websites here. One name is registered here (actually thru the company that Powweb uses), and the other is registered elsewhere. I can manage the DNS settings in OPS here for the first domain. I have to manage the DNS settings for the other domain at that registar. I am at a loss for what to say next. Perhaps you should open a service ticket, or speak to a rep thru Live Chat. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by snowmaker View Post
    I have two domains that point to websites here. One name is registered here (actually thru the company that Powweb uses), and the other is registered elsewhere. I can manage the DNS settings in OPS here for the first domain. I have to manage the DNS settings for the other domain at that registar. I am at a loss for what to say next. Perhaps you should open a service ticket, or speak to a rep thru Live Chat. Good Luck
    I believe what you're saying and it makes more sense to me, but the other guys are pretty damn insistent. I opened a ticket with powweb.

Sucks that this should just take a couple minutes and now it will cost me hours...

Quote Originally Posted by invertedflight View Post
    Sucks that this should just take a couple minutes and now it will cost me hours...
    I hope this issue gets resolved quickly. Good luck again!

Ok, from my powweb support ticket:

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting Support.

Your domain is hosted with us. You will be able to manage DNS records. However, you need to purchase Custom DNS record. Please purchase the product by referring the link given below:
    http://www.powweb.com/product/customDNS.bml .

Once you purchase the Custom DNS product, you will be able update the DNS records through Domain Central.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

REMOVED
    Customer Support "
    Last edited by IanS; 5-29-13 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Tech name removed

This is really silly, why would I pay powweb $48/year just so I create one TXT record to get my Office 365 service started?

Quote Originally Posted by snowmaker View Post
    snowmaker,

For the domain that you manage your DNS settings elsewhere, is there a lot of upkeep? I'm considering removing the powweb nameservers from my registrar, which would allow me to manage DNS records with DomainIt.com. I don't want to have to be constantly (or even occasionally) making DNS changes to keep my site up. I don't really know too much about this stuff but I imagine if powweb makes a server change and I don't immediately followup with a DNS record change then my site would go down, whereas if powweb were the nameserver such a change would be seemless?

Do you pay the $4/month here for the DNS service?

Thanks,
    Chris

Looking at the records and facilities I have here for the domain that I register with Powweb, I would suggest it is the DNS records that need altering not the Nameservers.

I don't pay $4 per month to be able to control the TXT/SPF or any other part here, it's part of having the registration here.

You should consider moving (transferring) the domain from it's existing registrar to Powweb (as a reseller) and then you will get the facilities I think you're after. Powweb is slightly more expensive as a reseller than many domain name sellers, but, as you've found, if they're not all together then one puts the onus on the other to solve any problem and you go round in circles.

I don't know what changes you have to make to use the Office 365 trial, but this does seem extreme for a trial if you're not going to invest later!

Can you tell us what changes are required, without actually using domain names?
    It may help us to say if you can do those changes without paying the $4/month - I think you probably can!
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

My domain is paid through 2018 with DomainIt.com Should I just transfer it and is there a cost?

For office 365 (if I want to use my own domain as an identifier) all I need to do is generate the TXT or MX just so they know that I actually own the domain. There is no actual pointing or redirecting, they just want to see that it's me one time. I guess I might be able to pay $4/month then immediately cancel it, but if transferring is free then I might just do that.

*Edit: change 2008 to 2018*
    Last edited by invertedflight; 5-29-13 at 06:08 PM.

I've looked at the requirements and I have done something similar to enable google on a couple of domains.

You should be able to create the MX records etc at your registrar, if they don't let you then switch.

As I remember it, transferring is simple - you need to generate an authorisation code at the original registrar. That is valid only for a short time. I'm not sure of the costs - you'd need to check on the Powweb web site or use their chat facility on their frontpage. There's usually no fee to transfer, just the cost of a new year which is added to any that are already paid for. So if you've paid until 2018, adding a yr when transferring would simply mean that the registration is good until 2019.

The image below shows the choices you get without extra payment.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!