Thread: How do I set up my added domain?

Registered

How do I set up my added domain?

I've just added a new domain to my account. Where do I go from here? How do I set up a folder for the account (which contains the index.html page for the new domain)? Is a folder added automatically, or do I have to create one?

There's two different ways to do it. The easiest, and probably the best, is thru Domain Manager in OPS. Your direction should be pretty clear from there, just post back any questions or issues that arise.
    Last edited by snowmaker; 6-13-13 at 12:02 AM. Reason: typo
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Registered
    Thanks bruce. I'd left the setting pointing at the main directory rather than at a new sub-directory that carries the new domain name's files. All working fine now

I actually came here with the same question so I'll hijack your thread if you don't mind.

So if I already have domain1 pointing to /htdocs/ and I'm adding a new domain (domain2) with it's own website should I make a new folder in root and point the new domain to that folder, or should the new folder be in the existing /htdocs/? If the new folder is in htdocs wouldn't it be someone be able to navigate to it using either www. domain2.com or www.domain1.com/newfolder ?

I'd prefer to have two separate root folders to keep things completely separate. However, I have two problems with this:

I tried this and it works, except I can't seem to set any error page settings - is this because there's only one htaccess in htdocs? Should I make another for newfolder?

Going back I've read several complaints of the domain pointers being reset to the default /htdocs/. If this happened all of my customers going to domain2 would end up on domain1's website! Not good at all especially since I don't want the two sites associated with each other.

What if I make:
    /htdocs/domain1folder
    /htdocs/domain2folder
    and point the domains there, then have a general error.html on /htdocs/ just in case?

One last question: with two domains and two sites on one powweb account, is there any way for a third party to associate the two? If I told someone to visit domain1 could they snoop around and find domain2 (and vice versa)? Of course whois will show that both domains use powweb nameservers but so do thousands of sites.

Quote Originally Posted by invertedflight View Post
    I actually came here with the same question so I'll hijack your thread if you don't mind.
    Well I mind a bit. Please start a new topic next time. I might move your post to a new topic, but for now I'll let it be.
    So if I already have domain1 pointing to /htdocs/ and I'm adding a new domain (domain2) with it's own website should I make a new folder in root and point the new domain to that folder, or should the new folder be in the existing /htdocs/? If the new folder is in htdocs wouldn't it be someone be able to navigate to it using either www. domain2.com or www.domain1.com/newfolder ?
    It used to be that a new domain had to have it's own htdocs, with those two directories subdirs of the primary htdocs. So it would've looked like this: /htdocs/new folder/ and /htdocs/new folder/htdocs/, with all the new site's files in the new folder's htdocs. But now, you simply put 'new folder' in the primary htdocs, and you don't need to create another htdocs in that folder, so it would look like this - /htdocs/new folder/. It is possible to load site#2 with either domain2 or domain1/new folder.
    I'd prefer to have two separate root folders to keep things completely separate. However, I have two problems with this:

I tried this and it works, except I can't seem to set any error page settings - is this because there's only one htaccess in htdocs? Should I make another for newfolder?
    You can put a .htaccess file in 'new folder', and this will have effect only on 'new folder' and any subdirs of that.
    Going back I've read several complaints of the domain pointers being reset to the default /htdocs/. If this happened all of my customers going to domain2 would end up on domain1's website! Not good at all especially since I don't want the two sites associated with each other.

What if I make:
    /htdocs/domain1folder
    /htdocs/domain2folder
    and point the domains there, then have a general error.html on /htdocs/ just in case?
    It would probably cause unknown to me errors if there were two subdirs of the same name.
    One last question: with two domains and two sites on one powweb account, is there any way for a third party to associate the two? If I told someone to visit domain1 could they snoop around and find domain2 (and vice versa)? Of course whois will show that both domains use powweb nameservers but so do thousands of sites.
    AFAIK, there is no association between #1 and #2 on the same account, except the nameserver thing.

Oh, sorry, I actually thought it'd be better if I posted in this thread rather that start a near-identical one. It seemed the the OP's question had already been answered so there's no chance of carrying on two conversations anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by snowmaker View Post
    It would probably cause unknown to me errors if there were two subdirs of the same name..
    I'm not following you here. I was suggesting that in my /htdocs/ folder I would make two folders:
    domain1folder
    domain2folder

I'd use the domain pointer tool to:
    domain1>>domain1folder
    domain2>>domain2folder

There are no duplicates here. If the domain pointers ever got reset to defaults (as I've read has happened to people in the past), the domains would point to htdocs and visitors would get an error page or something rather than end up on the wrong website entirely. This at least avoids the embarrassment of a vistor of say, www.romanticvacations.com ending up on www.quickstdtesting.com. Does my approach make sense? I'll have to move my entire primary website from /htdocs/ into /htdocs/domain1folder so I want to make sure this is the right move.

How to webstats work with multiple domains?

Sorry. I misunderstood that as two folders named htdocs in the root directory. Webstats will show all the files in your account, there is no differentiation between any separate sites.

So if I setup my pointers as I suggested:
    domain1>>/htdocs/domain1folder/
    domain2>>/htdocs/domain2folder/

Is there any possible way for a visitor to see the contents of /htdocs/? The only way I can think of is if the domain pointers somehow get reset and pointed to /htdocs/. If I were setting up a test website in a new folder /htdocs/domain3folder/ is there any way for a visitor to find it before I've setup the domain pointer?

Another idea:
    Any reason I wouldn't just make two new folders on root, and have nothing in htdocs?

Thanks for all the help, btw!

Ok, I think we're mostly on the same page, just expressing ourselves differently.

domain1 points to /htdocs
    domain2 points to /htdocs/domain2folder

While domain2 points to a folder within htdocs, nothing above that folder is visitor viewable, however domain1/domain2folder will yield the same results as domain2. Sortof an example: http://wileywaysmastiffs.com (domain2) is a (no longer) registered domain that pointed to http://somdcomputerguy.com/wiley/. Where somdcomputerguy is my primary domain, or domain1.

So, everything (the files that make up the domain1 site & the folder that contains the files for the domain2 site) all go in /htdocs.
    Last edited by snowmaker; 6-13-13 at 01:18 PM.

I don't really like the idea of nesting website files like that. If I followed my second idea and put two new folders in root (not in htdocs), would I lose webstats? Within root I would have:
    /htdocs (empty)
    /domain1folder (domain1 points to this folder)
    /domain2folder (domain2 points to this folder)
    /stats

Does webstats only see traffic through the htdocs folder?

If I lose webstats this way then I could also do it like this:
    /htdocs/domain1folder (domain1 points to this folder)
    /htdocs/domain2folder (domain2 points to this folder)

In this way visitors should never be able to see anything at the htdocs level, right?

This is the way I've multiple domains set up. I then use the domain pointer. No way from one to the other. Alternatively you could use the htaccess method to route domains.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    This is the way I've multiple domains set up. I then use the domain pointer. No way from one to the other. Alternatively you could use the htaccess method to route domains.
    Which way is that? 3 or more folder structures have been described in this thread.

The last way - all sub-folders of htdocs.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Ian,

Ok, good, I think that's what I decided made the most sense.

Out of curiosity, do you know if webstats will track visitors when the domains point to folders outside of htdocs?

I assume with all my domains pointed to folders within htdocs my stats data will just count everything together no matter which site is being visited.

Anything not in htdocs is not publicly viewable - so any website files need to be in htdocs. For webstats, I stopped bothering with the powweb-supplied stats and instead use google. copy-paste the code into pages, pretty straightforward.