Thread: The domain name you specified is already in use. Please select a different domain nam

Registered

Question The domain name you specified is already in use. Please select a different domain nam

I've updated my nameservers as usual to ns1.powweb.com/ns2.powweb.com, but whenever I try to *add existing domains* to my hosting account on powweb it states "The domain name you specified is already in use. Please select a different domain name."

The support claims that the "domain is associated with some other hosting account." and that the hosting account is domain.com

For quite a while, when I updated the nameservers as I've always done, I was able to host the domains on my powweb account easily, but now I can't. Powweb support tells me to "remove the domain from my other hosting account" which is what I would do if I wanted to transfer it. From my understanding of having purchased and managed domains for the past few years domain.com is not hosting my domain

I do not wish to transfer the domain, simply update the nameservers properly and add to powweb via the domain central's *add existing domain* so I can assign it a subdirectory. It states the nameservers are updated on whois, but powweb states that the domain is actually hosted by domain.com.

I can't seem to get proper assistance from either domain.com OR powweb on this issue.

Powweb support is confident the problem lies with domain.com, that apparently they are hosting the domain even though the nameservers are updated, and domain.com believes the problem lies with powweb.

So I'm at a loss as to what to do.

I have bought domains from numerous sources, including domain.com, Network solutions, Register.com, namecheap, etc, and updating the nameservers has not given such a problem before, it's been quick and easy.

Is this a domain that has been registered by someone else before?

If so, then they may have been hosted here and still have the domain linked to their account.

If not, then have you had the domain hosted anywhere else? Check to see if it's one of the many 'properties' that the parent company of Powweb owns. The only 'official' way of doing this would be to ask support.

Finally, ask Powweb support to escalate the issue. You change the nameservers (as you know) to ns1.powweb.com etc then add to the account. If the level 1 tech can't do that, then you need an explanation that doesn't involve transferring to them.

As a side note, you can add all kinds of domain names to an account, even if the nameservers aren't pointing to them so the explanation they give doesn't make sense to me.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Registered
    It appears this problem might be related to the use of this specific type of Control Panel, as Domain.com has recently installed it (the same thing powweb uses), and it appears that two newly registered/pointed domains cannot simultaneously be managed by two domain central control panels (of this exact type) at once.

I did as everyone kept saying, I removed one of my domains from the domain.com control panel (without transferring it) and it was successfully added to powweb control panel via the Add existing domain.

However, this poses a few problems, for example, I cannot renew the domain any longer as the domain is not transferred to powweb, its still managed by domain.com but not accessible through domain.com control panel.

So it appears the problem lies mostly with Domain.com, and it appears I need to choose a new domain registrar.

Lets not forget the fact that on all the other domain registration sites, such as register.com/network solutions/godaddy, etc, I can simultaneously control nameservers/renew/update contact info in their control panels, all while hosting the sites, pointing to a directory, etc, on the powweb control panel.

So it looks like domain.com is going to lose a really big customer to just about any other domain register, as they've completely massacred the convenience every other registrar offers.

It's quite scary that all I have to do is click that red subtract button and anyone can just go ahead and add it to their own account

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    Is this a domain that has been registered by someone else before?
    No, it has not been registered before
    If so, then they may have been hosted here and still have the domain linked to their account.

If not, then have you had the domain hosted anywhere else? Check to see if it's one of the many 'properties' that the parent company of Powweb owns. The only 'official' way of doing this would be to ask support. nope, hasnt been hosted anywhere else

Finally, ask Powweb support to escalate the issue. You change the nameservers (as you know) to ns1.powweb.com etc then add to the account. If the level 1 tech can't do that, then you need an explanation that doesn't involve transferring to them.
    Yes, I've encountered this issue before, powweb resolved it quickly
    As a side note, you can add all kinds of domain names to an account, even if the nameservers aren't pointing to them so the explanation they give doesn't make sense to me.I am aware, the explanations are absurd, but the likeliest issue I've found is related to the use of the same exact control panel
    I just discovered, Powweb.com and Domain.com are owned by the same company, Endurance International Group

So that's interesting.

Then that's the problem - if they're the same company they're the same back end. It's not the use of the same control panel that's the problem, it's the fact they're both owned and set up as sub-sets of one large group. It's the computer management system that's the problem.

Contact Powweb (and Domain.com)'s support again and point out the problem lies with the fact that they're both using the same back end as part of Endurance.

Personally, I'd transfer to a totally separate company (once I'm certain they are indeed separate!) Then it doesn't matter who owns the system you're hosted with. But as a Powweb forum I'm not allowed by the zealous mods to name the company I use!

You should still be able to manage the domain outside of the domain.com & Powweb systems as they're resellers and not registrars. You can manage Powweb 'registered' domains without logging into Powweb, there's a separate route for that. Ask support at Domain.com if you can do that and give Powweb as the example.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Registered

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    Then that's the problem - if they're the same company they're the same back end. It's not the use of the same control panel that's the problem, it's the fact they're both owned and set up as sub-sets of one large group. It's the computer management system that's the problem.

Contact Powweb (and Domain.com)'s support again and point out the problem lies with the fact that they're both using the same back end as part of Endurance.

Personally, I'd transfer to a totally separate company (once I'm certain they are indeed separate!) Then it doesn't matter who owns the system you're hosted with. But as a Powweb forum I'm not allowed by the zealous mods to name the company I use!

You should still be able to manage the domain outside of the domain.com & Powweb systems as they're resellers and not registrars. You can manage Powweb 'registered' domains without logging into Powweb, there's a separate route for that. Ask support at Domain.com if you can do that and give Powweb as the example.
    Thanks for all the insight IanS