Thread: trying to import existing web into new web program!

Registered

trying to import existing web into new web program!

Hi
    Ive got a microsoft frontpage website up which I programed about 6 years ago.
    But I want to make some changes to the site, I havent got the original program that I use to program the site with all the files and pictures ect as im now on a differrent laptop now, with so ive bought microsoft frontpage 98 off e-bay and installed in onto this new laptop.

The problem ive got is Im tring to import all of the website ive got up along with all the files and photos ect into this new frontpage program, so that I can make only a few changes to the site and then re -publish the site.

I click import an existing web,

But when I try and import the site I get a box coming up saying
    "this operation requires administer permission for <root web>" and the box is asking for name and password.
    I havent a clue what this means!!!

My question is what name and password does it want? the name and password of my computer? name and password of my server? name and password of my client area ?
    Or does it want the name of my website?

Does anyone know just what it means by root web and which name and password does it require for me to import the website ive got up into the new frontpage program ive just installed on new laptop

Or can I change the site in a different way without importing the site?
    Need help, plz!!!

The 'root web' path can be found in OPS - http://www.powweb.com/controlpanel/settings.bml (it's called 'Document Root' there),and the username/password is the FTP user/pass that has access to your htdocs. Probably your main one (or 'Master FTP Account'). That information can also be found in OPS - http://www.powweb.com/controlpanel/FTP.bml.
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Registered
    Many thanks for your reply and help, yes I think have my FTP user name and password, I assume my FTP user name and passowrd is the one i use to log into my server which is at {removed} they host my site free for life! I only have to pay for my domain name each year! )
    im sure ive aleardy tried this name and password tho but it stll doent work!
    Will try again! maybe i have to enter my user name and password for my client area, which is different to my FTP name and password.
    Will try both again!
    Im not joined up to those links you sent, not a member, but will try and jion up and take it from there!

If not will have to come back for more help!

Was just thinking tho, could I pay someone to program me a completey new website, only want a cheap one page site with about 20 images on, and ask them to do a simliar site ive got up plus the changes I want and then somehow tranfer my domain name to this new site they do for me? and keep the site hosted by {removed} so that when people search and enter my website name, they will see my new website?
    Think this would be the best way forward for me.
    Problem is of course I wont have any control over the new site as i wont have all the docs ect and will have to keep paying the people who prorammed my new site to make changes ect which i could of done myself if i could import my existing site.

So is it posible to have a new website done by an external programmer even if its not via microsoft frontpage, and then transfer my domain name to this site so that when people click my website name this new site will come up?
    Last edited by IanS; 7-24-13 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Competitor name removed

Well those links aren't going to help you at all, I wasn't aware that you didn't have a site hosted here. Since I am not familiar with your host, and I do not and have not ever used FrontPage, I don't think I can help you either. Good luck though!
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'