Thread: FTP alternative..

FTP alternative..

Well, for lack of a better word, I used 'alternative', but this is simply an easier way to use FTP and whatever local text editor you prefer.

One way to edit ones 'web pages' is to use a text editor, then connect to your account with a FTP client and upload the 'edited' files.

The 'alternative' I am proposing here basically does the exact same thing, but uses this program - NetDrive to make the FTP connection, and map that connection to a local drive letter on your computer. This description of the program says it in better words than I can:
    NetDrive connects storage servers with WEBDAV and FTP protocol. It allows Windows users to manage files and folders on a storage server as though they were located on your PCs local drive
    So, to summarize, this makes the whole process easier, or less time consuming, and I hope it helps someone.
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Very nice, I am going to have to play with this.

Netdrive has proven to be very useful for me, although it is slowly losing the 'new program smell' . I mean, it is a great little program, and it is more useful (to me) with a service such as MyDrive than just using a FTP program such as FileZilla here, in which I can right click on a file and select 'Edit', so the program gets downloaded and my text editor starts with that file loaded, then uploads when I save it. Now that's fine here, where I mostly just have to edit text files (.html, .php, .js, .css), but the thing I like most about it is that I can use any program to do whatever I want with any file; I can edit a text file or play a .mp3. I have found several minor 'quirks', things like not being able to define an 'intial directory', and not being able to automatically minimize the program upon start. Not being able to get the FTPS or HTTPS WebDAV to work at all is only a small inconvenience for me, but is a major drawback in getting a 'client' of mine to use it. I'm thinking maybe this is only because the free version of this program doesn't support that, but the website docs aren't clear about that.

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar
    I downloaded and installed it. Actually resisted my red-blooded male urge to just jump in and try it by reading through some of the help file. Haven't gotten around to setting things up yet.

You kind of answered a question I had, Bruce. I'm slowly releasing my iron death-grip on my troop's website and had thought about installing an FTP program on the Troop's computer (we're lucky to have our own meeting space and broadband, soon with wifi). FileZilla is OK for me, but I don't want to have to teach someone new every 6 months how to use it. Everyone's familiar with the concept of GDrive or SkyDrive or DropBox so this NetDrive dealy intrigued me from the standpoint of allowing others to edit files on our site. But there's things I don't want messed with such as .htpasswd and some other templates that sit in a folder above htdocs. Are you saying that if a NetDrive user has access to your site they have access to ALL of the site? I guess I can deal with it but it would be easier to restrict to htdocs.

Of course I could get off my lazy butt and try it out for myself to answer that.
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Builder View Post
    Are you saying that if a NetDrive user has access to your site they have access to ALL of the site? I guess I can deal with it but it would be easier to restrict to htdocs.
    You could create another FTP account in OPS that only has access to the htdocs directory, then set up the user details in NetDrive with that username and password.

In Netdrive, you can enable an account to be automatically started either when the program starts, or enable the program to start with Windows. Both these options can be selected too. This would be ideal for the 'layman'.

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar
    Ahh, so it can be 'attached' to a FTP account. Makes a lot more sense now. Guess I'll set things up and see how badly a 12 year old can screw up a website! Come to think of it, he might be (probably is?) better than me at all this stuff!

Thanks!
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Builder View Post
    Thanks!
    You bet. Hope this helps you out.

You don't need another program, Although it is basic Powweb's control panel has FileManager, a live file editor, and most WYSIWYG are capable of synchronisation between local and remote servers. They call it the cloud these days.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

I have a script that I can use to edit text files online, and I usually use the 'view/edit' feature in Filezilla that downloads a file then loads it into a (definable) editor then uploads it when I save it. NetDrive makes that process a bit quicker though.