Thread: Submit Button for Email

Registered

Unhappy Submit Button for Email

I have on our HOA community website an interactive form that our homeowners can fill out and then press a "submit" button to send to the HOA Email. When the button is pressed you get an error message saying website could not be found. I believe there is something in the html code that is causing the problem. HELP!!!

I'll bet your right! Without seeing the web page though, it is hard to help. Did it ever work?

Quote Originally Posted by boardmembers View Post
    HELP!!!
    Help us help you. What's the error message? Is your site hosted here? What's the address to it?

Welcome to the Powweb forum anyway!
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Registered

Submit Button

Yes the site is hosted here. The site is www.oaktrailshoa.org. The problem is with the ACC Request Form page. Everything works for the fill-ins, but when I try to submit it (to an email address) it says page cannot be found?? I really am not sure why it is trying to go to a website instead of an email address. Thanks

Well, the MS Office code tried to shew me away, but I bit my tongue and looked at the source code anyway. I don't think there's anything wrong with the HTML code that makes up that page (other than the MS proprietary tags..), but either the FormMail.pl script is supposed to be centrally located (or you have a /powweb-bin directory in your accounts webspace) or it's not configured correctly. I'm not familiar with that form processing script, so I don't think I can help you. Sorry bud. There are some other members here that probably will though. Good luck.

BTW, I sent you a PM earlier just to let you know that I had moved your post. There's not many things that tick me off, but unsolicited help questions via PM is way up on the top of that little list. I'm just tellin' ya, no worries at all.

And expect that your posts will probably not appear until I or one of the other Mods approve it. It's a 'newuser moderation queue' thing. You have 3 more posts to go to not be a 'newuser' anymore. The queue is 10 posts if a link is included in the post..
    Last edited by snowmaker; 10-5-13 at 06:57 PM. Reason: added the MS dig
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar
    Well, hmm, not sure I'd have anything else to add to snowmaker's advice but I was willing to try. Could not find a form anywhere on your site. The "Home" link and the "ACC Request Form" link both point to the same page: http://www.oaktrailshoa.org/index_files/Page395.htm

In general, you need a form handling script to deal with the inputs and do something with them. That could be sending the information in an e-mail or storing the info on the server, or both. If you are getting a "404 page not found" response it means you either don't have the action="formscriptname" attribute in the <form> tag, or that attribute is pointed at the wrong script or URL, or you may have a bad URL set up for the "response" page, or maybe something else. Also, if you are using FormMail.pl, be aware that case counts! FormMail.pl is not the same as formmail.pl is not the same as FORMMAIL.pl. The case of the filename in the action="" attribute must match the actual filename of the form script exactly. Just some things to look for.

Good luck,
    Kevin
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Registered
    Thank you for the response. For some reason I have to click the ACC Request Form link twice. The first time you click it , it goes back to the home page. The second time it goes to the form. That should let you see the page and the source code. Maybe you can see something there. Thanks

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar
    OK, you have 2 opening <form> tags and only one closing </form> tag.

Code:
    <form method="post" action="/powweb-bin/FormMail.pl" onsubmit="return FSubmitValidation(this)">
    <form method="post" action="/powweb-bin/FormMail.pl">
    I don't know which is the one you need, or how to deal with that issue in whatever editor you are using, but one of the opening tags needs to disappear. My guess is the first one.

You absolutely must fix the double-click thing. Nobody, but nobody, will ever find that form if they have double-click on a link. That is not expected link behavior on a web page. Again, I don't know how you do that in your editor, so you are somewhat on your own there. I'm not dealing with MS Office. However, this is at least part of the HTML code at issue:
    Code:
    <div dir=ltr>
       <p class=MsoNormal style='line-height:113%'><span lang=en-US
       style='font-size:8.0pt;line-height:113%;font-family:Verdana;color:black;
       font-weight:bold;language:en-US'> ACC Request Form</span></p>
       </div>
    And apparently all of your text links are part of an image map rather than straight HTML <a> tags, which makes absolutely zero sense to me, but that's MS for you.

Lastly, your form page has some weird layout in every browser on Windows 8. Internet Explorer 10, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, it doesn't matter. I'm sure the layout I'm seeing is not anything close to how you want it to look. Please take this as friendly advice: Dump whatever you are using as an editor program and use something -- anything -- else. I realize you are probably doing this on a volunteer basis and I admire you for taking on the job, but it's not happening with what you're using. Google is your friend for finding "something -- anything -- else".

Kevin
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

If you have had the website for a long time and dont want to tinker with scripts too much, powweb provides a script - http://www.powweb.com/controlpanel/formEmail.bml . You will need to log in to OPS to view, but it goes through step by step.

I agree with Kevin that it is high time to find a new way to edit your website...I suspect it will only become even more unreadable on future browsers.