Thread: Please review my site :)

Registered

Please review my site :)

I was going for a simple, clean, puppy site that anyone would be able to navigate through without much hassle.

Constructive criticism will be helpful

Thanks
    Kelly
    www.dakotatklabradors.com
    site hosted on Powweb
    Last edited by tkbauder; 11-4-13 at 01:06 AM. Reason: forgot to list the site:)

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar
    I'm partial to Brittany Spaniels, but decided to look at a site about Labs anyway.

I think you've achieved your goal of a clean design. Looks nice and uncluttered. Easy navigation. Very minor nits to pick:

• On your opening page the paw graphics each have a label on them; there's no need for a title attribute to pop up the exact same label. This same behavior is on other pages as well.
    • The upper right paw on the opening page, "Litters Available", has a different text alignment. The explanation text is center aligned rather than the left-alignment of the rest of the paw/explanation sections.
    • You might consider a "photo gallery" script for displaying your pictures. I use a very simple jquery based script. It works with your existing page and layout. A lot more elegant than simply popping the full-size photo in a new window. See it in action here: http://troop53.net/events/aah13/ View source to find a link to the script. There's others out there though if the one I use isn't to your liking. Since you use WordPress there's probably a plug-in you can find.
    • The Sitemap, Support/Help, & Terms of Usage links at the bottom of each page lead nowhere.

Overall, nice job!

Good luck,
    Kevin
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Hmm. A hassle to one may not be a hassle to another, as well as what may not be a hassle to one, may be to another, so I can't get into constructive criticism right now. But on another note, WOW. Maybe if the site I had been doing for a Mastiff breeder in Maryland was as good looking as this one, she'd still be a paying customer of mine..

So what's Interfeis? And what's with the J/S for the other three links at the bottom? I don't use or particularly like Wordpress, so I can't really give an unbiased comment about it's use, other than to say, IMO, it can be used to make things look nice..

All in all, you've got a great looking and informative site there. My opinions and comments are worth less than a grain of salt, but are you not glad that I like it!
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Builder View Post
    • On your opening page the paw graphics each have a label on them; there's no need for a title attribute to pop up the exact same label. This same behavior is on other pages as well.
    • The upper right paw on the opening page, "Litters Available", has a different text alignment. The explanation text is center aligned rather than the left-alignment of the rest of the paw/explanation sections.
    • You might consider a "photo gallery" script for displaying your pictures. I use a very simple jquery based script. It works with your existing page and layout. A lot more elegant than simply popping the full-size photo in a new window. See it in action here: http://troop53.net/events/aah13/ View source to find a link to the script. There's others out there though if the one I use isn't to your liking. Since you use WordPress there's probably a plug-in you can find.
    • The Sitemap, Support/Help, & Terms of Usage links at the bottom of each page lead nowhere.

Thanks for helping - it's OK that you like Britneys I won't hold it against you
    1 - I will work on the paw graphic - I am not sure why they pop up the same words since one of them doesn't - I will get that figured out, I must have done something to the one that doesn't lol
    2 - Have had a dickens of time in wordpress trying to get the alignment to work (and stay) the way I want it to I hope to change that as well.
    3 - Photo Gallery...ya...that is definatly the goal I have had many a meltdown, being self taught, going from expression web to word press & it was taking me a while to figure out the photo gallery so to tide me over I did a quick table to keep everything in line Now that you have said what I thought, it seems to be something I will con't to work with and get that done.
    4 - I pretty much forgot about the bottom menu lol...thanks for reminding me - most of what is there is from the theme

Thanks! You have given me much to think about!

Registered
    Bruce...are you Irish? Just wondering Your 1st paragraph reminds me of something I would say.

Interfeis...hmmm...I think it is some bs thing that was included with the theme & needs to be deleted...I will defiantly get on that! I think the rest of the bottom stuff is the same & it needs to go as well...thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Thanks for the opinions...no opinion is worthless (most of the time)...You too have now given me more for my "to do" list! Have a great week!

Registered
    My response to you will be up soon Kevin...it is awaiting "moderation" - thanks for your help!

isnt the popup title tag (the 'alt' tag, right?) there to assist those using assistive devices Kevin?

In terms of a review, it is clean and straight forward. while the paw pictures are cute, I would personally find it more interesting if the paws were replaced with other pictures. I also think it could be presented more 'economically' - it would be nice if no scrolling were required to read all the first page content. For example, I dont think a description of what is in the 'contact us' or 'guarantee' is needed...is a description of any of them really necessary?

to be clear, it's fine - in my eyes, some modifications would make it better

Registered
    tpoynton - Thanks for taking a look! I too wondered about assistive devices...I have a friend that is blind and I wondered if that is what his machine read??

I will try to reduce the home page so you don't have to scroll. That makes sense. I do however wonder about the picture links instead of the paws only because I have so many pics of the dogs on all other pages?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tkbauder View Post
    Bruce...are you Irish?
    My father and his father are Scot, my mother's mother is Irish, and I'm Libra. That should say something..

Quote Originally Posted by tkbauder View Post
    Have a great week!
    Well I can only take things one day at a time, but thanks! You too!
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Quote Originally Posted by tpoynton View Post
    isnt the popup title tag (the 'alt' tag, right?) there to assist those using assistive devices Kevin?
    title and alt are different attributes. Years ago, you could have an alt attribute do the work of a title attribute. Browsers would "pop" the contents of alt when you hovered over an image. In actuality they shouldn't have since, as you point out, that attribute was really meant for "screen readers" or other assistive devices.

Now (since 2002-ish?), they're different. For example, you can put an alt in the img tag and a title in the a(nchor)tag surrounding the image, or both in one img tag. I often do one of those. To sum up, alt is for assistive devices and should not show in "visual" browsers, title should appear (if that's the right word) in both "visual" browsers and assistive devices for visually impaired.

At least that's my understanding.

Kevin
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Registered
    tpoynton - the way the theme is set there is no way to make the home page smaller so some scrolling is always going to be necessary. I did, however, get the page name (HOME) off, because it didn't need to be there anyway, and it did help a little bit.

I did, also, consider removing the description of the links on the home page (the contact us link & the guarantee link don't need to be described) but I think I need to remember that there are many people that are not as positive as I am & if they are looking for something and don't know where to click (because it isn't spelled out) they freak out & automatically hit the contact us button to ask us a question. I guess the site is a tool to weed people out that only want information. My husband is one of those I talk about...not very computer literate but is great with his dogs - he wants to know where to get the information he wants before he clicks.

The only other option would be to add more link buttons but I didn't want a ton of them on the home page????

Registered
    So I should type in the Alt field & not the Title field - the goal would be to be read by devices but not seen on the site - is this correct??

You can do both, but the alt "field" is really the one that would matter to your blind friend.

Kevin
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Registered
    Thanks for your help...I am busy making changes! Everyone has been helpful & I have added to rep

Kevin, thanks for clarifying the title vs. alt tag thing. alt tag good, title bad.

OP, RE: the pictures I just thought that maybe a picture of some afterbirth would be good for the 'litters' link, a phone cord for contact us (etc). I find the big paws to be a waste of space, making those smaller (or replacing with smaller pictures related to what you are linking to) would reduce scrolling. I'm not sure how saying 'Here is a copy of our 3-Year Written Guarantee' really helps clarify what someone is clicking on when they click on the link to the '3 yr written guarantee'.

These are my thoughts...or more accurate perhaps, clarification of previous thoughts. you can take or leave them, fine by me

Quote Originally Posted by tpoynton View Post
    Kevin, thanks for clarifying the title vs. alt tag thing. alt tag good, title bad.
    I don't know that it's a matter of good or bad. In actuality I pretty much abuse the alt attribute just to pass W3C. All they look for is something -- anything -- to be there. So I tend, at least for photographs, to just enter the filename and sometimes the file size. On the other hand, the page I link to earlier in this thread uses a script that takes the title attribute and turns it in to a really nice caption for the full-size photo.

So, alt is required by W3C for any img tag, title is optional and can be applied to any tag. In fact, I use title for "definitions" via CSS. I have a CSS class defined that puts a dashed underline under acronyms or other esoteric terms. When you hover over that acronym/term the content of the title attribute pops up. Just one practical use of title...

Ah well, kind of off-topic so I'll just shut up now and crawl back into my hole.
    "Damn... that was fun!"