Thread: Is FrontPage obsolete ?

Registered

Is FrontPage obsolete ?

It is well reported that MS FrontPage is obsolete & that users should migrate to MS Expression or similar. However, this forum seems pretty active & there do seem to be a lot of FrontPage users out there.
    I have a website built using Frontpage 2002 and my main question is : if I don’t add further sophistication to the site, is there any reason why my current html code should not continue to work for the foreseeable future?

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar
    If you are willing to leave your site "unsophisticated", there's no reason it shouldn't continue to work for a long time to come. On computers anyway. A fellow gang member here (thanks for that snowmaker ) has put together a quite nice site using FP, although I don't know which version. Hunt around here for Seawitchartist's profile.

One thing that probably will go away fairly soon is FrontPage Extensions. Already many hosts don't offer that feature, and those that do probably won't for much longer.

There have apparently been issues with FP installing and running correctly on newer hardware and OSs. So far there seems to be fixes and workarounds for at least some of those "issues", if you are willing to track them down. Here's the point: FP will quit installing and working on a future system, sooner or later. Your existing pages will probably still be viewable but you'll have to find a new way of editing/maintaining them.
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Registered
    Thanks Builder - very helpful.
    This is a site I've done for 'sutton coldfield ramblers' - our local walking group and I'd like to hand it over to another member in the next 12 months or so (if I can find a volunteer !). But, I didn't want to leave them with a site that would be redundant very soon or face the expense of buying & learning MS Expressions or such like. Feel free to take a look at my website (search on the above) in case you have further comments or advice.
    Thanks again.

I'd look into a Content Management System (CMS) such as WordPress, Drupal, or Joomla. 12 months is plenty of time to change everything over -- maybe.
    "Damn... that was fun!"

I'd certainly be moving from FP - it will depend on the skill set of the person taking over, maybe you should work together on changing over.

Come up with a totally new design, don't try to replicate what you've got as that will be much harder to do. Communicate, both with your members and anyone likely to be in a position to assist. Communication will be the key to success!
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

I second Builder's suggestion. While I use and like Joomla, you are going to find that there is more support for Wordpress. Joomla has kind of split and I am even a little confused about their versions. Drupal, I have been told, can be more robust, but the learning curve is greater.

If you do install it, the general feeling around here is that you should do it manually and not use the installer in Ops because sometimes Ops isn't as up-to-date in the version they have.

One thing that is nice about a CMS is that you don't have to have the software on a local machine to manage the site. To hand off the site to someone you just have to show them how to use the back-end of the CMS.

Registered
    Thank you all for your comments & suggestions - much appreciated.
    I'll digest all that you've said but, I think my first move will be to take a look at CMS & Wordpress.

CMS = Content Management System

The big ones are Wordpress, Joomla, and Drupal. There are several out there that you can use. Some website designers will build a custom one for you and there are some companies out there that have some they have built for specific organizations.

Basically what you are doing with a CMS is creating the basic look/layout of your site and then the actual content is managed in a database and delivered dynamically. This content is then managed through a control panel interface where a user, or users, log in and update the content.

Registered
    Thanks for that Entrecon

Quote Originally Posted by Builder View Post
    Hunt around here for Seawitchartist's profile..
    Thanks for this! I love FP, but perhaps that's because it's the dog I know? I use FP 2002 as does Zaphod .One thing for sure, I see no reason to change if I'm not forced to, I say the same about XP...why fix something that's not broke and end up with Vista?
    Never trust statistics unless you fiddled the figures yourself!

www.seawitchartist.com

Even though I'm using Windows 8 now, XP is still my favorite. But that computer died...

You and I had a "conversation" several months ago about your site. Before viewing it, and knowing it was created with FP, I hesitated but was impressed by the fact that there are no FP cliches there. I was not exaggerating above when I state that it is "quite nice". In fact it is more than quite nice.

Off-topic: I'll be in London in June. Don't yet know what part. But I'll wave at you.
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Registered

my question, too

Quote Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
    It is well reported that MS FrontPage is obsolete & that users should migrate to MS Expression or similar. However, this forum seems pretty active & there do seem to be a lot of FrontPage users out there.
    I have a website built using Frontpage 2002 and my main question is : if I donít add further sophistication to the site, is there any reason why my current html code should not continue to work for the foreseeable future?
    My website is clumsy, but it even works on a tablet. How, I have no idea, but it does.

And after almost 15 years, I'm so comfortable with FrontPage. I think I understand it (more than I can say about my wife). To me, it's like a 1957 Chevy. Easy to work on, gets you where you're going.

I'd really like to keep it forever.

Not only is FrontPage obsolete, so is this thread! Please don't go around forums reviving threads from over 17months ago, don't even revive threads over a few days! Start your own in future!!
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!