Thread: htaccess dealy processing

htaccess dealy processing

Hello.

i have been having problems in recent weeks when adding new areas of my site.

i use htaccess a lot with RewriteRule to create short URLS.

I've figured out that when i make cahnges to a particular php script, the changes are INSTANT & updated to the screen when i refresh.

When i add / modify a RewriteRule, the changes are updated a few HOURS later. (i get a lot of 404 errors, but when i return some time later, the site works as expected.)

Query: Is there some sort of delay with htaccess files being updated ?

Query: is there a way to force htaccess to instantly update any changes ? (I recall you can add a few lines to do this - but forget what they are.)

EDIT :-

a) used FTP to create a new directory http://domain.com/directory1/directory2

(directory1 has htaccess rewrites - but directory2 is an actual / propper directory.

B) Ive added a blank .htaccess file in the new directory. & added index.php

When i go to the new URL - it still activates the 404 error file in my upper / main directory.

has anyone got a solution ?

I've refreshed my 'new' URl / screen & its working now. (i've NOT played around with the php code)

it seems to take 20-30 minutes for a new htaccess command or new PHP script to take effect. but once i can access it, any changes to the php script are instant.