Thread: Google Apps Email / Split delivery

Registered

Google Apps Email / Split delivery

Hi All,

I've been at this the whole day and still can't figure it out. So I implore the forum gurus to offer me a solution.

I've been a longstanding powweb customer (almost 10yrs) and as the company grew, the services offered by Google Apps became necessary.

We'd like to have some users on Google Apps Gmail and the rest on Powweb.
    Google has a procedure for that exact request they call it Split delivery:

https://support.google.com/a/answer/173534?hl=en

So I configured the destination as mx.mydomain.com (replacing mydomain of course) as that's what Google suggested I use then changed my mx records to Google App's
    After an hour or so of waiting, the MX record change kicked in and I was receiving emails on the google apps configured emails (5 out of 60) as well as sending. However emails on Powweb never arrived. I could send just fine though.

My client settings (in outlook) : mail.mydomain.com and smtp.mydomain.com have worked fine so far.

I tested in the webmail client itself but nothing helped.

I'm at a loss because we do need the Google Apps features but cannot afford 60 users. As such if Powweb cannot work with Google Apps for split delivery I'll have no choice but to move to a host that does unfortunately

I really would like to avoid that. So if anyone can help, I'd be much obliged and grateful.

did you configure Google Apps as described on the page you linked?

Registered
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I did configure as per the page. Have you done this particular setup before and it worked?

I'd love it if someone at powweb could just confirm that it should work at least.

Cheers

Interesting...I am going to have to play with this. I have wanted to move my e-mail to gmail, but I have some family members that I didn't want to have to mess with getting them set-up.

Did you happen to check SPAM folders? It is possible that the filters on PowWeb aren't liking the incoming e-mail because of extra headers or how Google is doing the split directory. One of the reasons I have been putting more thought into moving my e-mail away from PowWeb is because for some reason only on my account the SPAM folder disappeared. SPAM is still getting filtered, but now I can't go look through it to verify nothing real is in there. I have tried several different settings, including re-creating the folder and nothing seems to put it back. I haven't contacted support because I haven't wanted to mess up everyone else's account in the process.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by entrecon View Post
    Interesting...I am going to have to play with this. I have wanted to move my e-mail to gmail, but I have some family members that I didn't want to have to mess with getting them set-up.

Did you happen to check SPAM folders? It is possible that the filters on PowWeb aren't liking the incoming e-mail because of extra headers or how Google is doing the split directory. One of the reasons I have been putting more thought into moving my e-mail away from PowWeb is because for some reason only on my account the SPAM folder disappeared. SPAM is still getting filtered, but now I can't go look through it to verify nothing real is in there. I have tried several different settings, including re-creating the folder and nothing seems to put it back. I haven't contacted support because I haven't wanted to mess up everyone else's account in the process.
    You can give it a try for free www.google.com/a for 30days.
    I'd love to have more people have a look.
    I checked the spam folders, the blacklists area etc, nothing popsup as out of place unfortunately

Registered
    Google ran some tests and got this:

Hello Nicolas,

Thanks for taking my call again.

As we discussed today, essentially what was happening when we configured dual delivery was that an email sent to an address not created within Google Apps is sent and received by the legacy server. Shortly afterwards, the legacy server attempts to try and hand the same message back to our server. This, if completed would create a delivery loop, so our system blocks the message from being received. This indicates some form of forwarding rule. There appears to be some rule which even when an email is directly sent to the correct host, it checks the MX records and sends the email wherever they are pointing

Quite odd I find. What do you guys think? The old pop.powweb.com dragon rearing its head again in this equation? I have no forwarding rules at all currently on my emails

i have set up one account for google apps, but had not tried this dual delivery thing...the problem seems to not lie on Google's end, and if you are using 'legacy' powweb email may be related to the problem. I personally changed all legacy accounts (ones that had both an address and forward in mail central) to the 'new' setup, which is not so new any more. good luck!

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by tpoynton View Post
    i have set up one account for google apps, but had not tried this dual delivery thing...the problem seems to not lie on Google's end, and if you are using 'legacy' powweb email may be related to the problem. I personally changed all legacy accounts (ones that had both an address and forward in mail central) to the 'new' setup, which is not so new any more. good luck!
    I have some email using the legacy system not all. Is there an easy/smooth way to transition them over or do I have to delete and recreate the emails? Of note, the email I was testing against was not of the type @pop.powweb.com

I was going to do some tests but I'm too tired (10:30pm here) and they take ages (1hr+ to get the MX records to propagate, 30mins to test, another hour to change it back if it fails etc)

I deleted/recreated, copying mail i wanted to keep locally before putting it back into the new account. Powweb support may be needed here, as the forwarding that is occurring may not be controllable by you

Registered
    I'm hoping they are reading this forum? Are they?

Probably not. This is a user/customer helping user/customer forum. It's been a long time since staff were regular visitors. If it's necessary for staff input then the official channels are now the only way to be certain of them becoming involved.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Occasionally, but don't rely on an official (from Powweb) reply here, unless it's a major outage or something. You're better of with a support ticket. You can do that thru OPS.

edit:a good twice..
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Registered
    Bummer. Thanks I submitted a ticket. Maybe someone who did the same thing will help in the mean time.

Thanks all

Hey you bet. There are are few customers here that use Powweb mail, and I'm sure you'll get some interesting and maybe even helpful replies. Remember though, whatever Powweb says in that ticket is the word. Don't quote them here, but if you could post a solution that's provided, that'd be great.
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Registered
    What's the turn around time for answers usually? Chat support said 2-4 hrs so I woke up at 4am (it's been 4hrs) to check but nothing so far
    Back to sleep

Premium Support or just standard?

In my experience with standard support if you get contact back within 24 hours on most issues you are lucky. If it is an issue that has to be escalated I would say sometimes it can be more than 48 hours before someone will get back to you.

Registered
    Standard. I just got a reply. Basically it's saying my MX record should say mx.powweb.com and not mx.mycompany.com (sub my company for your company name obviously)

I'm not sure he fully understood the issue because he also said my MX records are not pointing to powweb when they have to be because I'm receiving emails just fine (without going through google since that's not working)

Awaiting for an anwer

E-mail is NOT PowWeb's strong suit. I have had accounts work with imap.domain.com and all of sudden fail and require me to use imap.powweb.com.

If my business was e-mail critical, I would be somewhere else already.

Registered
    We haven't had many problems with powweb in almost 10 yrs. Except one time where we had to change smtp servers from mail.domain.com to smtp.domain.com and sometimes to smtp.powweb.com

Anyway I did the test and it did not work with the new MX IP's ( mx.powweb.com)

I'll follow up as this progresses