Thread: optimizing for mobile

Registered

optimizing for mobile

Hi everyone! My fifteen year old FrontPage-created website still works like a charm but now it's time to modernize and make it mobile phone friendly. Way past time actually. I have the 2002 version of FrontPage, using it on the partitioned Windows X-P portion of a Mac Book Pro. (Partitioned so I could keep my beloved FrontPage). So that tells you that I'm obviously not one to run out and install the latest version of anything. But I truly need to get the site on everyone's phone! Searching around, I came across some really old mentions of an add-on that was designed for just that...but don't know if that's still an option. Any advice would be appreciated.

Well I can say nothing good or bad about FrontPage. I don't and have never used it. The only programs I have ever used are a text editor and at least one browser. Very often a FTP program is used as well. These three items are what also make up the basis of many WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) type programs, like FrontPage.

Is your site hosted here? Post a link to it. If it's not hosted here, please state that it's not, but feel free to post a link to it and get some feedback!
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Registered
    Hi...thanks for responding. No, it is hosted elsewhere...here's a link:
    http://www.oldquimper.com
    Thanks again

Rick
    Of course, smartphones and tablets don't absolutely require any special treatment. Those devices can view conventional websites, it's just that the pages will generally require zooming in and out to be readable. It's cumbersome and annoying, but not an insurmountable hurdle.

To present a truly mobile-friendly version, websites today either redirect mobile users to a specially-designed version of their website or use a coding method called "responsive design" which automatically re-formats their pages to suit the user's device. I'd be extremely doubtful that Front Page could ever be used to create a site based on responsive design methods, and only slightly less skeptical that it could produce an acceptable mobile-dedicated site.

On the whole, unless you want to learn website design, you should look into online publishing alternatives like WordPress that would give your site the modern design it needs with a WYSIWYG interface for you. Until then, you can look for services that will convert an old site into a mobile version. If you search on "website mobile version converter", you'll find several choices. But Front Page is a dead end and it's only going to get more and more difficult for you to keep using it. Good luck!
    Rick Trethewey

BTW, mic/mac, your posts were in the 'moderation queue', that's why they weren't displayed right away. All new users get their first 5 posts (10 if there's a link) 'queued'. So, if your next few posts don't appear right away, I or one of the other mods will get to it eventually..
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Registered
    Thanks Rainbore...I was hoping the add-in was still available somewhere, somehow or I could just drop in a bit of code. Drat!

Guess I'll just go down in the basement and fire up the ol' Commodore...lol

Most of your content is even older than Frontpage so the website does at least carry a nostalgic theme. So old I'm amazed the current website has not already been defaced. Rainbore's advice is spot on as usual. You could replicate your design using Wordpress. It is free to download and install. Here at Powweb you can install in a few clicks. Then literally thousands of free themes and plugins are available leaving the user interface detection - redirection to mobile friendly - coding and security updates to the experts. If you want to move to Powweb PM me and I'll help you set it up.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Have you looked at at your site using mobile devices? Do you have problems getting the site to work?

I viewed it on my phone using the Chrome browser, and other than having to zoom in, it worked well for me.