Thread: Can Frontpage 2003 be made to work on Windows 8?

Registered

Can Frontpage 2003 be made to work on Windows 8?

Can Frontpage 2003 be made to work on Windows 8? Perhaps by running it in compatibility mode?

Has anyone got this to work?

I've got a big website and I just don't have the time to engage in education and conversion to another piece web software. Right now I have Windows 7 and it works fine.

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar
    You might look at a few of the articles linked from here:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Inst...e+on+Windows+8
    Maybe some help there, maybe not...

Personal story that somewhat fits:
    A computer I bought in 1995 with Windows 95 had ClarisWorks (look it up ) pre-installed. I got used to it over the years and really, really liked it. I re-installed it on a couple of successive computers running WinXP. As the years went by, fewer things worked correctly in ClarisWorks. For example, I couldn't print any text color except black, and couldn't print more than one copy of a document at a time. But it still worked.

A little over a year ago I bought a computer with Win8. ClarisWorks refused to even install. I was heart-broken. A little outside-the-box thinking got it "installed" however. I copied the installation folder from a WinXP machine and pasted it into the "Program Files (x86)" folder on my Win8 machine. Shazaam! It works. Not pretty, but it works. Every time it opens Windows asks if I want to allow ClarisWorks to "make changes to this computer". Well, yes. Don't know what the "changes" are, but yes.

Anyhoo. That may be one answer to "installing" FP on Win8 if it won't from an install file. Be aware that you won't get registry entries, or user data, or other important stuff by using that method. It might be quite the hunting expedition to find all those. Even if you are successful in finding all that information FP probably won't work like you are used to. Things will be broken.

Take that as a major hint that it's time to find something new. I don't use ClarisWorks hardly at all anymore. The only reason I keep it around is to open "legacy" files stored on a backup drive. I don't rely on it for new documents or even to update those legacy documents.

As always, YMMV.

Good luck,
    Kevin
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

If you use this method (including registry entries) it is vital that you make a full machine backup or you could find a non-working machine.

Unless you're using the very special effects that FP gives you, why not migrate gradually. Hopefully your website isn't the same as it was when it was initially created in either look, feel or content. Why not simply add your new sections in via some other program? If you're not using the special effects then many programs work in a similar way to FP for page editing and creation. It's only the special effects that FP and the FP extensions are needed for.

After 11yrs it is time to move on.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!