Thread: Panoramas

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar

Panoramas

Earlier this month I was in England (waved in your direction IanS!). One morning I climbed up a hill outside the town I was staying in and took a series of pictures with the intent of making a panorama out of them. Found the following today and it works perfectly with a minimum of fuss -- actually no fuss, the defaults worked right out of the box.

http://cs.bath.ac.uk/brown/autostitch/autostitch.html

Stitched the photos together with no visible seams. Choose the photos, hit "Go" and shazaam! The only thing I had to do was crop to straighten ragged edges and square the corners. Easy enough in IrfanView.

Attached is the result. Original is roughly 1400x260.

I used the Win32 version even though I have Win8.1 64-bit. It's only a 1.5MB download. Ran it straight from the zip file without extracting.

Hope this helps someone else!

Kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Rick
    Very cool, Kevin!
    Rick Trethewey

I agree. Yes it is. Nice work, Kevin.

I took some pics awhile back of the Greenbrier River in Alderson, WV. I live about 30 miles from that town now, but your pic has inspired me to go back and take some more. I've got an eye doctor appointment this coming Saturday, now I'm probably going to stop by there on my way back..

http://wvpics.somdcomputerguy.com/
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Quote Originally Posted by Builder View Post
    Earlier this month I was in England (waved in your direction IanS!). One morning I climbed up a hill outside the town I was staying in and took a series of pictures with the intent of making a panorama out of them. Found the following today and it works perfectly with a minimum of fuss -- actually no fuss, the defaults worked right out of the box.

http://cs.bath.ac.uk/brown/autostitch/autostitch.html

Stitched the photos together with no visible seams. Choose the photos, hit "Go" and shazaam! The only thing I had to do was crop to straighten ragged edges and square the corners. Easy enough in IrfanView.

Attached is the result. Original is roughly 1400x260.

I used the Win32 version even though I have Win8.1 64-bit. It's only a 1.5MB download. Ran it straight from the zip file without extracting.

Hope this helps someone else!

Kevin
    It's a good photo, but where in England? It's a small island I know, but from the photo I can't tell if it's Kent or Sussex. I can tell it's probably not Durham or Northumberland. (They're all counties in England for those not so good at geography )
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar
    Thanks guys! Can't claim too much credit other than taking the photos. Software did the rest.

@ Bruce: Them's purty pictures! I last went through WV about 8 or 9 years ago. Rafted the New River. Beautiful country.

@ Ian: Actually on the other side of England from Kent. That's Braunton in Devon. Hard to tell from the attached photo but the Atlantic is in the far background. For "those not so good at geography", here's the map:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8056968,-3.9868955,9z
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"