Thread: Mysql login?

Question Mysql login?

Nagging question about MySql login.

Is the OPS panel the only way to access MySql?

If I change my password for the database is there a way to check to make sure I can login with the new password?

When I log in with my password here:
    https://members.powweb.com/webControl/mysql/manage.bml

Nothing happens. If I put it the wrong password, it gives the error message but when I put in the newly changed password it says nothing and doesn't go to MySql.

Does the page do nothing because I am already logged into Powweb through OPS?

There is the MySql Beta link at the top of the page which takes me but it's just seems odd that it works that way.

Quote Originally Posted by barbara View Post
    ..when I put in the newly changed password it says nothing and doesn't go to MySql.
    I seem to be not be able to login to any of my databases. The same thing happens to me as the part of your post that I quoted. The page just refreshes. All of the scripts that I have using databases seem to still be working fine though. I'll probably place a ticket at some point, but as long as the 'beta' link works for me, I'm not too concerned about it.. If this is a important issue for you though, I suggest you place one too.

As far as I know, logging in to OPS is the only way to 'manage' one's database(s).

The page looks different than the last time I used it (months ago), so maybe they're still working on it?
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Thanks so much Snowmaker. The page only refreshes for me too after logging in.

I put in a ticket this afternoon but haven't heard back so I thought I'd ask here too.

It's just that I'm new to MySql and wanted to make sure I wouldn't have log in problems later if I changed my password with no way to check it.

I can get into MySql through OPS just fine though.

So if the only way to manage MySql is by logging into OPS, why do we need a database password at all?

Since I seem to be having a similar problem with that page as well, they're probably still working on it, especially since it seems to me to be new design.. I don't have to get into OPS that often though, so this might have been going on for awhile. Being a moderator of this forum, I do try to keep fairly up to date on what's being discussed. But I am prone to not seeing things that are right in front of me..

I think it's a good thing that databases have separate passwords as OPS. It can get confusing though, with several different usernames and passwords. But if a script that uses a database here is compromised, at least the OPS password is safe, if those passwords and usernames aren't the same..

That was my worry too. Is it really secure to only be able to get to MySql only when you're signed into OPS.

I just got a reply from support and they only said to access MySql through:

"You can manage the database through PHP MyAdmin at:
    https://www.powweb.com/controlpanel/MySQL/index.bml "
    If you are unable to access the database, please get back to us with the error message and login details.

The question remains. When I change my database password, how do I login with the new password to check and make sure the new password works?

If I'm signed into OPS and that link, I can't do that.
    Last edited by barbara; 8-3-14 at 03:47 AM.

Well I think (pretty surely) that to manage or create/drop a database or a user/password, one must do that by logging in to OPS and then using PHPMyAdmin. However, whatever script you're using that uses that database would use the username/password you came up with while in OPS|PHPMyAdmin. If the script doesn't work right, it's probably a good assumption that the user/pass is not good (yet, if just changed?). A small script can be written that just logs into a database and then maybe even tries to read from and/or write to it to verify the login info. I'll probably get hungry later for some CopyPasta (since I'd be eating that dish a lot to take code from one of my other scripts), and then I'll edit this post or create a new one with that small script.

Remote connections to MySQl are not allowed. The access ports required by Shell, Dos, your own version of phpMyAdmin, etc. are closed. You need owner level access to change the database password and in most cases it is different to your OPS password so a second login through OPS is required. Only you should know your password. You need it, and can use/test it by logging in as the administrator of your application, phpBB for example.

Think of OPS as your master login. You can create fellow administrators in most applications like phpBB or directly in OPS as a user for the database. No need to divulge your OPS password. Fellow phpBB admins can login and perform all admin level tasks and possibly un/intentionally destroy your database and lock you out. With OPS level "master" access you can restore the database reset you passwords and delete the bad fellow admin. This gives you the account owner absolute control. Wordpress phpBB etc. offer this type of tier hierarchy in their own setup, calling you the master a Super Admin. But you OPS phpMyAdmin access is truly the only owner.

Note* If you create an owner level user of same name and password for every database you have, that one login will display all your databases on the left in phpMyAdmin.
    Croc Hunter MSC :