Thread: mobile template issue

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar

mobile template issue

Recently I've been building a new template for my Troop's website. There is a mobile template built in to the CSS. Part of the mobile template turns the navigation into a slide-in menu on small-screen devices. I would like that menu to slide in with its top aligned with the top of the screen since the controlling "button" is set to position:fixed and slides up and down as the page is scrolled. Except right now the menu slides in aligned with the top of the page.

Is there a relatively easy way to make this happen? I've tried all my limited skills in CSS and JavaScript to get it to work as desired. Link to the template:
    http://troop53.net/sandbox/template.htm
    CSS:
    http://troop53.net/css/layout.css

A couple of things I've tried but didn't like:
    • Change <a href="javascript:menuOpen(menu)"> to <a href="#" onclick="javascript:menuOpen(menu)">. This "fakes" what I want to have happen by going to the top of the page and sliding in the menu from there. However, if the user slides the menu back without selecting a link they are left at the top of the page, not where they were prior to clicking/tapping the button.
    • Setting the navigation's position to "fixed", which works but doesn't allow the menu to be scrolled.That would be an issue on shorter screens, or when a device is rotated to landscape.

There's still some work to do on font sizes, colors, mobile break-points, etc. but this is getting close. I'm willing to listen to other suggestions for improvement as well.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Rick
    Hmm... when I try it with the window narrowed, the menu is already aligned with the top of the screen. Did you tweak the code after you posted here?
    Rick Trethewey

Hey Rick, thanks!

I suppose I didn't explain as well as I should have. If you scroll down (window narrowed), then click on the button I want the navigation to slide out at that point, not at the top of the page. Kinda hard to describe...

Kevin
    "Damn... that was fun!"

For better or worse I've gone with:
    <a href="#" onclick="javascript:menuOpen(menu)">

Kind of the lesser of several evils...
    "Damn... that was fun!"