Thread: Problem sending email from my wifi device

Registered

Problem sending email from my wifi device

Hello, I am new to the Powweb forum, I say hello to all.

My WiFi email device was working really good for over a year, but as of 10/14/2014 at 7:40 PM it could not send any emails.

My WiFi email device is about the size of a cell phone but no screen, just two LEDs and a push button. Push the button and it sends an email to a person that was pre-setup.
    It sends the email via my home router. (my regular email works fine)
    I checked another unit and it could not send email either. It seemed that the email was refused.

It was reported on the Powweb chat page that there was an issue with sending email.
    Is any one else having email problems like this?
    What can I do to get it working again?
    Thanks, Glentron.

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar
    Make absolutely certain your "devices" are actually talking with your router. Your router logs can help with this.

You mention that the e-mail was "refused". Refused where? At Powweb? At the recipient's e-mail host?

It's possible that your pre-composed e-mail contains words/phrases in either the subject or message which could be interpreted as spam. Have you sent the exact same message (subject and content) via a computer? If so, did it go through? If not, try rewording.

Good luck,
    Kevin
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Registered

WiFi email device

Hi Kevin,

Yes, all emails sent from the WiFi email device were basically the same message, tested 6 times over period of 12 hours. Each time it was successful.
    Then on 10/14/2014 at 7:40 EST the test email stopped working.

I can email you copies for what "has worked in the past" so you could look at them and maybe get the header data to look at.

How can I send you a sample of the email that eventually failed>

I'll PM you my e-mail. It would probably be good to zip the messages and attach them so that they don't somehow get tagged as spam.

I'm not a real expert (does that make me a non-real expert?), but I can follow the routing via headers. Basically, no guarantees
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Registered
    Kevin,
    From my PC running Thunderbird I sent the same message to the glentron... email at powweb and it came thru OK. So it seems that it may be a problem with validation, and of course the WiFi email module is using 2048 it AES encryption (for over a year).
    Thanks, Jim

Registered
    Kevin,
    I saw a PM box appear but could not really find it, it seemed to disappear
    Kindly,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by glentronwifi View Post
    the WiFi email module is using 2048 it AES encryption
    And right there you went over my head . A few other thoughts:
    • Is your outgoing port correct? Should be 587.
    • I know you can use SSL encryption, don't know about AES (my ignorance on encryption is peeking out.) Perhaps that was being ignored until a few days ago?
    • It's also possible, depending on the recipient address/service, that the PW email server is on a blacklist (Spamhaus, et al) that service is using. If it is absolutely critical that these messages are received you may want to look into an alternate e-mail host.
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Registered
    Hi Kevin,
    Where do you want me to send the header ZIP file to?
    I seemed to have missed something.

Kindly,
    Jim

Kevin,
    Kindly,
    Jim
    OK, hmm. Perhaps you don't have enough posts yet to use PM here.
    Last edited by Builder; 10-18-14 at 04:13 PM.
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Registered
    Kevin,
    In response to your questions:
    Is your outgoing port correct? Should be 587. No port 465 SSL 2048 bit encrypt.

It's also possible, depending on the recipient address/service, that the PW email server is on a blacklist (Spamhaus, et al) that service is using. If it is absolutely critical that these messages are received you may want to look into an alternate e-mail host.

I don't know about being on a black list, this is a product I am designing that is an alert device.
    What ever you hook it to, it sends an email to the person in charge.

Jim

Registered
    Kevin,
    You mean no specific links?
    Jim

No port 465 SSL 2048 bit encrypt.
    I stand corrected. Learned my one new thing for the day.

I don't know about being on a black list, this is a product I am designing that is an alert device.
    What ever you hook it to, it sends an email to the person in charge.
    Apparently PW's email servers/IPs are regularly on Spamhaus blacklists. Depending on the address/email host of the "person in charge" this could affect delivery.
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Registered
    Kevin,

The WiFi email device is to alert a home owner if his basement is being flooded.
    The device logs into the server and is authorized by the server user name and password.
    Depending on who the home owner wants to alert, mother , neighbor, friend, it will have these
    email addresses stored in the module like To: cc: bcc: Subject, message body.
    This is a Legitimate product I am trying to get working.
    Jim

OK we're "talking" over each other here. I'm old and confused so I'm going back a step or three.
    Go to User CP in the upper left of this page then click on List Messages under Private Messages. This may also get you there: http://forum.powweb.com/private.php

You mean no specific links?
    Don't know what that was in response to.

Kevin
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Registered
    Kevin,
    the IP is not listed in the SBL
    the IP is not listed in the PBL
    the IP is not listed in the XBL
    Jim

Kevin,

The WiFi email device is to alert a home owner if his basement is being flooded.
    The device logs into the server and is authorized by the server user name and password.
    Depending on who the home owner wants to alert, mother , neighbor, friend, it will have these
    email addresses stored in the module like To: cc: bcc: Subject, message body.
    This is a Legitimate product I am trying to get working.
    Jim
    Not questioning the legitimacy. Actually, now that you've explained it, I might need it! What is in question, I suppose, is whether or not this service absolutely relies on PW's e-mail "service" (such as it is). And my point is that the service is not to be considered "mission-critical". Now, if the device is using the user's e-mail info, and sending it to, for example, a gmail address, PW is out of the loop.
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Kevin,
    the IP is not listed in the SBL
    the IP is not listed in the PBL
    the IP is not listed in the XBL
    Jim
    Answers that question.
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Registered
    Kevin,
    Thanks for the info.
    Powweb has been great for my hobby web sites, and Cryptosymposium web site.
    I don't want to change, but I wonder what other kind of service provider I need if we can't get this working.
    Jim
    Last edited by glentronwifi; 10-18-14 at 03:23 PM.

No help for you there, Jim. The domain I have hosted here uses PW's e-mail. Nothing sent/received is so critical that a delay, or even a drop, results in tragedy or property loss and insurance claims.

We aren't allowed to mention competing services on these forums, but perhaps someone could recommend something to you via alternate means of communications. Of course, doing some research through searches may also yield results.

If you decide to go that route it would only be a matter of changing your MX records at your registrar. You could leave your web hosting here.

Kevin
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Registered
    Kevin,
    Thanks for the info on what is involved here. Critical things like you mentioned will be considered .
    I guess we would have to host, or get our own email server, (which is a huge task), to enable
    handling of critical timing, down times, delays, and insurance claims.
    You have been a big help,
    Thanks Kindly,
    Jim

Interesting. The email you sent just before 1:00 CDT was flagged as spam by gmail. Just now saw it. Lemme look through the attached files and see what I can see...

In my best governator voice: "Aa'll be baack."
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Are you using PW's MS Exchange service? Other than that, the headers look hunky-dory.

Now... I'm gonna think outside the box here -- the box is in the next county over. I'm in waaaaaaaay over my head and waaaaaaaay outside my comfort zone by suggesting this. I know next to nothing about programming and creating a product such as you have created. But here goes:

What would happen if you interfaced with a server-based script that sent the e-mails? I'm assuming you may have some flavor of Linux in your "device" along with a very basic e-mail application. I'm thinking something along the lines of the device sending a UserID to the server and then a script matches the ID with an e-mail address in a database, then sends an appropriate message to that address. Takes SMTP out of the loop, along with (possibly) blacklists and other nasties that thwart delivery.

May be more effort that you want to go into at this point. Just throwing it out there. BTW, if you run with that I get 50% of the profits. I keeed! I keeed!

Kevin
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Registered
    Kevin,

Thinking about it all, what we need is a forwarding email server, there would be no accounts to track, no storing of user data. Since each and every WiFi email device is programmed to log into the same server and the server just forwards the emails, as specified by each user email that comes in, to the destinations. (user email data is stored in each module and is sent to the server)
    Any Ideas or bad news would be welcome, Jim

E-mail isn't really an instant message type of communication. If you could send a SMS via cell phone to a specified cell number or even more than one then it would be useful. I don't live in an area likely to flood, but in the parts of Britain they've had flooding problems. There's a service where you can get flood warnings by SMS to you cell phone. Think about that as an addition to sending an e-mail.

A SMS arriving in the middle of the night may be seen, an e-mail most probably won't.

Look up SMS warning system in Google and you will see Australia have a government service. The search also gave other places.
    Finally, http://www.radio-data-networks.com/f...-flood-alarms/ is a system to look at.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

@glentronwifi - if you goto my website (click on my username on the left, and then 'visit my website', or the link in my signature), click on 'Other Page' in the menu on the left, you will find a link to the email service that I use. Also, on this forum - EmailDiscussions, you will find many email knowledgeable folk that will be more than willing to discuss alternative email solutions with you.

With that said, I believe Powweb to be a super shared-hosting environment. I have had an account here for about a decade, and a member of this forum close to the same time. Powweb is a great shared-hosting web host, but not so great an email service if emails are critical to you, in my opinion.

On a slightly funny note (I hope!) I don't need any device other than a window and maybe a weather forecast (if I'm out of town) to notify me if my basement floods. There's a crack in the foundation (or something) of the house we live in, and the basement floods if it rains. Simple as that. If it rains, my basement floods. I have a pump down there to get the water out, but a few times the water has come in faster than the pump can, pump.

But back on track, I hope you get this email issue resolved!
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'