Thread: Missing hotspot screentips

Registered

Missing hotspot screentips

For the last couple of years I have been building a web with Frontpage 2003. There are a number of photographs for which I have been building image maps. Until recently, I was adding screentips to each hotspot, via the edit hyperlink dialog box associated with each hotspot.

Suddenly this facility is no longer working. I enter the screentip via the edit hyperlink dialog box and save it, but it does not appear on the web. If I go back to edit the same page later, the previously entered screentip has been retained in the dialog box, but again not on the web. It does not appear to be a browser-related problem as all the screentips entered over the previous two years are still working.

It appears to be a problem with the code. Examining the code, I find that the title attribute (which is interpreted as the screentip) is missing. The only way round it is to edit the title in code view - which is very tiresome compared with the way it can be implemented in design view.

It appears that I have inadvertently disabled the screentip in some way, but I cannot imagine how. I do hope somebody can help me out. Thanks

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar
    An off-the-wall thought: What version of Windows are you using? Is this a recent install of FrontPage on that OS? FP2003 was for WinXP. Perhaps using "compatibility" settings will help.

If that doesn't work there are other ways of producing image maps:
    https://www.google.com/webhp?q=image...age+map+editor

Find one you like that does what you want. Copy/paste into your page code.

Good luck,
    Kevin
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Registered
    Thanks Kevin

but...

Compatibility mode - no improvement
    Reinstalling Frontpage - no improvement - suggests something buried in Office

Had a glance at other methods of creating an image map but none of them seemed to offer screentips. Besides, it would be no easier to cut and paste code from one of these tools than it is to edit the code originally generated by Frontpage.

Frontpage still works fine on my laptop. Short of transferring the whole project over to the laptop, I seem to be scuppered.

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wol1936 View Post
    Frontpage still works fine on my laptop. Short of transferring the whole project over to the laptop, I seem to be scuppered.
    That's probably what you need to do then. Look, you're trying to use a 12+ year old program which hasn't been supported by MS since 2006-ish on a newer version of Windows (although you never answered that question). It is what it is on that OS. Either get used to it, run it on your older laptop until that machine dies or -- and more preferably -- move on to something else for your web development.

This is just your first hint that FP is dead and has been for almost 10 years. At some point it will not run at all on a future computer. You really need to have a plan for that day. The link I gave in my previous post is a start on that plan.

Full disclosure: I never used, never installed, and have no experience with FrontPage. I'm a hand-coder using text/code editors exclusively. Your mileage (kilometerage?) may vary.

Good luck,
    Kevin
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Registered
    Sorry, didn't fully cover all the points you mentioned. Desktop - Windows 7 Home. Installed along with Frontpage over 3 years ago when I had to replace the hard disk. All worked fine until about a month ago. Laptop - Windows 7 Professional.

Registered
    You're right of course, Kevin. Have decided to go over to Expressionweb 4. Not too much of a learning curve on top of Frontpage. Yes, I know, another program past its sell-by date, but at the age of 78 I reckon it will see me out!