Thread: FP2002 not displaying images in Normal View - HELP!

Registered

FP2002 not displaying images in Normal View - HELP!

OK - This is really bizarre. I Have been using FrontPage since Moby Dick was a minnow. Today while modifying a previous page that had been working fine, I put in a new image file name in HTML view that I had already uploaded to my web server. Normally when I do this and switch to Normal View, the new image appears just fine. Today I got just a blank box with an X in it. Checking the page in "Preview mode" did not show the image either. I double checked the path for the file on the server and it was fine. Put that path into my browser and the image displays fine, so no issue with the file not really being on the server. I shut down FrontPage and restarted again. Tried to change the image again but now none of the images that were present on the page before are showing up in Normal mode. Switch to Preview mode and the images are there. Looks to me like something has glitched the program. Yes, I did reboot my computer (running Win7) and it did not help the problem. I can insert an image that resides in the computer and it will display just fine in Normal or Preview mode, but any images that reside on the web server are not coming up in Normal view. Has anyone seen this problem? Is there a fix for it? I'm really stuck.
    Thanks.

Hello, welcome to the Powweb forums! I saw you registering, and I saw you creating your post, but then I got caught up in something else, so I wasn't able to approve your post right away, that's why it took almost 20 minutes for it to appear. Sorry for the delay. Your next few posts may or may not fall into the 'moderation queue' that this forum has to battle spam.

I don't use FP and I'm not familiar with it at all, so I can't help you. Are you a customer here? If not, the web host you use may and probably does have a different file structure, so any help you do get here may not work for you.
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

I stopped using FP a long time ago, but the standard suggestions of clearing cache, cookies etc still often work even in this age of Win8.1 and OS X and Android etc

Try them, it may be a caching issue.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmaker View Post
    Hello, welcome to the Powweb forums! I saw you registering, and I saw you creating your post, but then I got caught up in something else, so I wasn't able to approve your post right away, that's why it took almost 20 minutes for it to appear. Sorry for the delay. Your next few posts may or may not fall into the 'moderation queue' that this forum has to battle spam.

I don't use FP and I'm not familiar with it at all, so I can't help you. Are you a customer here? If not, the web host you use may and probably does have a different file structure, so any help you do get here may not work for you.
    Thanks for your note Bruce. No - I am not a customer here... just saw quite a bit of activity here in the FP section, so thought perhaps someone has run into the same problem that I am seeing. This is a FP software problem... nothing to do with the server.
    I FTP my image files to the server and what I do has been working fine for years until some gremlin attacked my FP software yesterday. Thanks.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    I stopped using FP a long time ago, but the standard suggestions of clearing cache, cookies etc still often work even in this age of Win8.1 and OS X and Android etc

Try them, it may be a caching issue.
    I'm using Windows 7. I FTP my image files to the server. When you suggest clearing cache, cookies etc, I assume you are talking about doing that in the browser? I dont even have a browser running so that should have nothing to do with FP being able to display an image file in normal mode. The image does display in preview mode.

FTPing rather than using FP can cause all sorts of problems. If you're not using FP to upload, why are you using it?

From memory (I could be wrong) FP keeps track of image locations in files it uploads so that when you FTP the mappings are not uploaded with the images.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!