Thread: MobileGeddon

Question MobileGeddon

I'm not sure what is going on...is it only when a search is done on a mobile that search results are reshuffled to suit a mobile user? I don't get that much traffic from mobile uses anyway, is it really necessary for me to change everything just to please Google-gagga?
    Never trust statistics unless you fiddled the figures yourself!

www.seawitchartist.com

What I have seen on this (and it isn't a lot) the issue is that the larger percentage of users view sites using mobile these days, so Google is giving a higher rank to sites that are mobile friendly.

The latest I have from an expert friend I've reached is a bit of a relief, my website is friendly anyway. I refuse to own a mobile phone so I've been a bit late there. I hear from other forums that if a search is done from a mobile it will be offered different results if applicable than from any other platform. Studying my stats mobiles aren't my mainstream....maybe I'm worried about something that isn't important to me? I hope so.
    Never trust statistics unless you fiddled the figures yourself!

www.seawitchartist.com

Rick
    While the percentage of mobile users will naturally vary quite a bit from one kind of website to the next, it simply makes good sense for all websites to do what they can to accommodate this growing segment of web users. E-commerce websites and local service providers are commonly seeing 30-40% of their users on smartphones these days. Even purely informational sites are seeing smartphone usage close to or exceeding double-digits. That may not seem like a lot, but imagine how hard you'd work to gain that much traffic on a sustained basis and weigh that against how easy it is to make a mobile-friendly site these days - especially when you throw tablets into the mix.

The buzzword here, of course, is Responsive Design - a design method that allows a site to automatically adapt to the user's display size. If you're using a template-based system to run your site, the changes are usually pretty simple. Either find a new responsive template or modify your existing one. Either way, it's one-and-done. If you're using static HTML, it can be more difficult, especially if you have a large number of pages. But the good news is that you don't have to convert your entire site all at once. You can start with your home page and a handful of your most important internal pages, and then continue to update the balance of your site as your time permits.

Another alternative is to create a dedicated mobile version of your site. There are tools that can help you to convert your existing site, or you can start from scratch. Here again, you can start small and build out as time passes.

The take-away here should be that mobile is a large and growing audience, and the world is using a much wider array of display sizes to access the web than it ever has before. At the very least, you want to provide these folks with a warm welcome at your front door and an easy way to contact you.
    Rick Trethewey