Thread: Problem with server not updating changes???

Problem with server not updating changes???

Anyone have a problem with the server not updating changes made right away.

For example if I make a change in a css file such as changing a header image, and the width and height and upload the changed file to my server via FTP, it takes quite some time for the change to show up on server. Even if I empty my browser cache.

I empty my browser cache each time I make a change and upload. sometimes the site/server shows the change right away and sometimes it takes forever.

I would certainly like to make edits and see how they display right away on my site. It takes forever if you have to wait 20 minutes to see how each change looks.

It seems the server caches files for a certain amount of time because even if I delete an image it will still display it. If I inspect element the code it shows does not reflect the change even though the change is the only thing on the server.

Anyway to stop this from happening???

Yesterday I turned off web cache with the "Web Cache Control" tool and it broke all my sites. It seems to apply only to word press anyway.

Does that tool only allow cache in a persons browser or on the server???

There is a thread here that people experiencing this issue posted in. The bottom line is a Powweb server cache thing I believe. My resolution - on one site I manage I have none of these cache issues at all, but on another (which probably needless to say, has a different domain name than the other), I just do a 'hard-refresh' after FTP'ing up a changed CSS file. I'm sure you know, but I'll type it anyway, a browser can do two types of refresh. A hard and a soft. A soft refresh is usually just a 'F5', while a hard refresh (which basically instructs the browser to d/l the file again, instead of using the copy it has already downloaded) is a CTRL (or SHIFT) F5.
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Thanks I did not know about a "hard refresh". I will try that in the future. Not sure this will fix it as even when I delete my whole browser cache it still happens. If I wait long enough the page is up to date.

I turned off cache for all file types with the "Web Cache Control Tool" so we will see if that helps with editing. This time it didn't crash my sites.

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar
    A relatively recent thread on the issue:
    http://forum.powweb.com/showthread.php?t=97250

Maybe something there will help.

Good luck,
    Kevin
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Thanks. The Ctrl + F5 seems to be working good. It may be since I turned off cache on server but I don't want to test things right now since it is refreshing how I want.....right away. I will test things later and try to see what is at the bottom of it and read the other thread.

The Ctrl + F5 hard refresh thing I never knew about and everyone should know it. Thanks.