Thread: Restricting Access to Website

Registered

Restricting Access to Website

I have two web sites. Let's say they are www.siteone.com and www.sitetwo.com.
    Inside www.siteone.com is a link to the home page of www.sitetwo.com.
    How can I restrict access to sitetwo.com to only those coming from the link in siteone.com.
    I tried the following .htaccess in the root of sitetwo.com:
    order allow, deny
    allow from www.siteone.com
    deny from all

Unfortunately, that doesn't work, and I know just enough about .htaccess to be dangerous. Any help will be appreciated.
    Ronaldo38

Rick
    Without getting too technical, it would be complicated to only allow users coming from one site to visit another. If you need to restrict access to a website, the simplest way is to use an .htaccess instruction to require a user name and password. I found an Apache tutorial that explains the process.

If you could explain why you want this restriction and why the process requires two websites, maybe someone could suggest a better alternative.
    Rick Trethewey

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo38 View Post
    I have two web sites. Let's say they are www.siteone.com and www.sitetwo.com.
    Inside www.siteone.com is a link to the home page of www.sitetwo.com.
    How can I restrict access to sitetwo.com to only those coming from the link in siteone.com.
    I tried the following .htaccess in the root of sitetwo.com:
    order allow, deny
    allow from www.siteone.com
    deny from all

Unfortunately, that doesn't work, and I know just enough about .htaccess to be dangerous. Any help will be appreciated.
    Ronaldo38
    Rainbore, thank you for your response. I'm already using .htaccess to require username and password to restrict access to Siteone. I want only those from Siteone to access the videos I have on Sitetwo, and I really don't want them to have to enter their username and password again when they visit Sitetwo.
    Who do this, you ask??? We are a small homeowners association, and most of our content is on Siteone. However, we have two- and three-hour videos of our monthly board meetings on Sitetwo. I don't want to air our dirty laundry with the rest of the world, so I want to restrict access to the videos to our homeowners who are already signed onto Siteone.
    I know, TMI. Sorry.

Registered
    Actually, I did reply several days ago, but somehow it didn't make it to the forum...
    Anyway, we are a small homeowners association, and our web site is Siteone.com. We televise our monthly board meetings, and we put WMV files of those board meetings on Sitetwo. Our web hosting company barks at us when we have too many video files on Siteone.com, so we created a second site, Sitetwo to host the videos.
    We don't want to air our dirty laundry to the rest of the world, so we want to restrict access to Sitetwo to only those who click on the link in Siteone.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

You have the order wrong, with allow first it's to late to deny, as they are already in.

Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
    Allow from siteone.com

Note, it is better to use the siteone.com IP address as host names in Allow or Deny statements will force the HTTPd to do reverse DNS lookups on every request slowing down delivery. And as Rainbore suggests, this is not a great way of securing content from prying eyes. A new host under a single site.com using php would be the ideal.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Registered
    Thanks to both of you for replying. I'll give your suggestion a try.
    And thanks again.