Thread: Email - AOL Compatible?

Registered

Email - AOL Compatible?

My business website is currently administered on a friend's server. I am looking to move all of my information to a professional company and not rely on a friend.

With the current setup, I am unable to email to any AOL address. He said no one uses AOL anymore, and he will not configure his server to accept and receive from AOL.

I want to make sure that the company I choose to host my website is fully compatible to communicate via email to any website/company. Being a bookkeeping business owner, my communications are very email intensive.

Thank you for your help.

Melissa

As far as I know, one can email to an AOL email address using the Powweb mailservers. There were some issues a while back I think, so you might want to wait for more replies. In my opinion though, for your email abilities, especially this being a business thing, you should seriously consider using a dedicated email service. You see, Powweb is a web hosting service, that also has email capabilities.
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

I strongly echo Snowmaker - email works, but it is primarily a web hosting company so that works better!

Look for a dedicated email service in the same price bracket as you'd pay for a year's hosting or slightly more. It will depend on how much you wish to work on the setting up and maintenance - the more you pay, the less you should need to do.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Registered
    Thank you both for your help thus far. My actual website does not get tons of activity, so I believe PowWeb would work great for that. My boyfriend has used PowWeb in the past for web hosting when he dabbled in web design and was very satisfied with the company.

I have a few further questions if you don't mind indulging me.

1. Can my website be hosted on PowWeb and my email service run through a different company while still using a "@mywebsite.com" email address. I only use one email address for my communications, but of course, I want to continue looking professional as a business should and have it be official communication from my business.

2. Another option is I noticed in the specifics of the hosting plan, Email Forwarding is unlimited. I know rarely is anything truly unlimited which is why I am posing this question. Would I be able to host my website on PowWeb and have my me@mywebsite.com email address to forward to my Gmail, Hotmail, etc. account? Is there any limit on forwarding in that way due to the fact that no actual emails are hosted on PowWeb's servers?

It seems as though I had another question, but it escapes me at the moment. If I think of it, I will post an additional reply. Thank you so much for your help as I choose the right solution for my business!

Melissa

Registered
    I thought of the other thing I wanted to mention. I do not do bulk mailings or anything like that. However, because I am a bookkeeper, I do a lot of email communication back and forth with clients. Most emails are short in length and only maybe half contain attachments which are not large, only bank statements, etc. Hopefully, that will communicate more of my email needs than before.

Thanks again!

Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Willow Green View Post
    Thank you both for your help thus far. My actual website does not get tons of activity, so I believe PowWeb would work great for that. My boyfriend has used PowWeb in the past for web hosting when he dabbled in web design and was very satisfied with the company.

I have a few further questions if you don't mind indulging me.

1. Can my website be hosted on PowWeb and my email service run through a different company while still using a "@mywebsite.com" email address. I only use one email address for my communications, but of course, I want to continue looking professional as a business should and have it be official communication from my business.
    Yes, you can although it can get technical to set up this way.

2. Another option is I noticed in the specifics of the hosting plan, Email Forwarding is unlimited. I know rarely is anything truly unlimited which is why I am posing this question. Would I be able to host my website on PowWeb and have my me@mywebsite.com email address to forward to my Gmail, Hotmail, etc. account? Is there any limit on forwarding in that way due to the fact that no actual emails are hosted on PowWeb's servers?
    Yes, that's exactly how I work with my mail. [/quote]Yes, that's close to how I work with my mail. I have a real mailbox at Powweb and also forward to gmail. That way if spam traps get in the way I can retrieve my mail from Powweb direct. As you say, things are rarely 'unlimited' but I've not reached the limit with multiple email address forwarding to a number of gmail accounts. If you're leaving the mail on the server then forwarding alone may be your best option as attachments can fill up the allowed space quite quickly if you are receiving them.

It seems as though I had another question, but it escapes me at the moment. If I think of it, I will post an additional reply. Thank you so much for your help as I choose the right solution for my business!

Melissa
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Registered
    Great, thank you! I like your idea of setting up a real mailbox and forwarding as well.

My email is thru another company, and they actually forward web requests to my website that is hosted here. While I have 'whatever@mydomain.com' email addresses handled by the other company, it is possible to have 'whatever@mydomain.com' email addresses handled by Powweb as well.
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmaker View Post
    My email is thru another company, and they actually forward web requests to my website that is hosted here. While I have 'whatever@mydomain.com' email addresses handled by the other company, it is possible to have 'whatever@mydomain.com' email addresses handled by Powweb as well.
    What would you suggest as the preferable scenario? Would you mind sending me a PM with the company you use for email so I can research it? Thanks!