Thread: Sent mail is not being received

Registered

Sent mail is not being received

Hello,

I belong to a non-profit organization that is using Powweb for email hosting and until a week or so ago all was well. There are four of us with email accounts but I seem to be the only having a strange problem. I can receive email but nothing I send is ever received by others. I can see my sent mail folder and see the mail I sent but it is never received by the recipients. I've sent mail to a variety of users on Gmail, Exchange and others and no one gets my email. The problem is the same if I log into Powweb on the internet or from my phone or tablet.

I welcome any suggestions to fix this problem.

Thanks,
    Rick

If you can RickC, I would first try deleting the account in OPS then re-create it.
    Croc Hunter MSC :

Rick, I'm having a similar problem. I have received mail but I have trouble sending mail to some people. One of my clients cannot receive mail from my PowWeb account to his website email (on another web host) but he can receive the exact same mail to his Yahoo account. I am able to send text messages with or without attachments to other email recipients including the bank, my son's high school and various free or commercial email accounts.

On Friday the 13th, I contacted my client's web host and attempted to send mail to his account. They received an SSL verify error - certificate name mismatch. They told me to contact my web host, so I called PowWeb. I wasn't receiving a failed send until today.

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<john@johnsdomainname.com
    >:
    host impout-pool.int.bizland.net [10.1.55.42]:
    550 5.1.1 <john@johnsdomainname.com
    > Recipient is invalid - ERR011
    Note: I am still using Squirrelmail on a Windows PC to send and receive mail as I have been for the last 14 years on this account. The problem has only been noticed in the last week because we were talking on the phone. The last email he received from me (not in Yahoo) was in September and it worked for years until now. I continue to send to his Yahoo account since his other email is being rejected. Incidentally, he does receive mail from other people in his website account, just not from me anymore.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design
    Customized Internet Advertising Solutions

John copied a full header of one email I sent to him on the 10th but he received on the 11th. He suspects that my mail is being caught by his spam filter. He is not using mail forwarding. He is using his web host spam filter. I am not using mail forwarding. I am using my web host spam filter.

I'm still sharing mail sent to and from John with CC to John's Yahoo account (that successfully receives mail) and BCC to myself. We can see when mail is sent and received (if received). I hope they find the problem and fix it. They were assuming the problem was on John's end but it worked for years until a few days ago. And there are other quirky things on my end. Sometimes old mail will show unknown for the sender but when I click on it, it corrects itself.

I wonder how many emails were unsuccessful. I tried a few more and didn't get the bounce-back message. I would think it was sent but not read or the person failed to reply. I'm sure other people are having the same problem and don't know it or didn't post here.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

check mail headers to see problem

I have been seeing that PowWeb mail is messing up "To" in the headers.

I typed john@johnsdomain.com and the headers show this:

"John" <Dawson@email.powweb.com> (less)
    "Name" <" <john@johnsdomain.com>>

I'm still trying to get a support technician to look at the emails like the phone support did. I copied the info in the support ticket. Still waiting....
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

We have become aware of an issue causing outgoing email messages to bounce back to our senders with the error "Not a valid address". Network Operations is aware of the issue and engaged to correct it. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience while we resolve this issue.
    That is a better response than "there is something wrong on the recipient's side" that someone said previously even though I checked with the recipient's web host prior to contacting my web host.

I have several examples of mail with BCC to myself before and after the problem started for comparison. You can see the strange thing happening when I try to send mail. If they view full headers like I suggested, they could see it. Still working on it.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

I'm waiting for John to confirm this but I checked the mail headers and I think the outgoing mail problem is fixed!

"John Smith" <john@domainname.com >

and

john@domainname.com
    Both mail did not bounce back. If John received the mail, I won't have to send to his Yahoo account anymore.

Update: John is STILL not receiving mail to his domain name mail account.
    Last edited by YvetteKuhns; 11-19-15 at 01:20 PM. Reason: update
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

After must experimentation, we have discovered that John's web host spam filter is filtering my mail. John discovered that Spam Assassin has our ip address blacklisted. I will be letting PowWeb support know.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Unhappy

The mail problem still exists. For a few days, John received the mail in his spam folder but then support worked on the problem. Now I get a bounce back message and he doesn't get the mail. That strange rewrite of the email address has resurfaced.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by YvetteKuhns View Post
    The mail problem still exists. For a few days, John received the mail in his spam folder but then support worked on the problem. Now I get a bounce back message and he doesn't get the mail. That strange rewrite of the email address has resurfaced.

Powweb is a great webhost and I've been a very satisfied customer for at least a decade, maybe even a bit longer. I'm so glad though that I decided to use a separate, dedicated email host many years ago...
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

I've been here for 14 or 15 years. The incoming and outgoing mail work fine for almost everyone. I'm not hearing complaints from my clients because many of them use mail forwarding. I chose not to do that because I was using the web host spam filter that recently let a few odd spam mail be delivered. My spam filter setting is supposed to include "SF" in the subject line so I know the Spam Filter thinks it is spam. Everything goes to my Inbox and I can decide if it is spam. For some reason, John's web host started treating my email as spam after all these years. And we've both had the same email addresses for many years.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

I just called tech support about another issue (enabling Mod Security which is enabled by default on NEW accounts but wasn't on my own account) when I decided to mention my email problems. We created new email accounts (without removing the mail forwarded default account to the pop account. The Sent folder actually works on the new accounts. I won't have to send blind carbon copies to myself every time anymore! I can use mail2web.com successfully with the new accounts, too. I'm hoping John will receive emails from my new account to his business account instead of having to send to his Yahoo account.

There is a support ticket to see if they can migrate my archived emails from my pop account to my new email account. They charge for this service but I asked if they could waive the fees since I've been a customer for a long time. It's easier for them to do it than for me to do it. Crossing fingers to finally resolve the mail issues.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

My new email account can be accessed using mail2web.com. I tried sending mail from Squirrelmail to John and it went to the Spam folder. I tried sending mail from mail2web.com to John and it went to the Inbox!

I have shown proof that Squirrelmail is creating an additional (fictitious) email address to the "To" when I send mail to John. It started a few months ago and I have shared proof with tech support. They still tell me that John should whitelist me. Note: John's web host is owned by the same parent company as my web host. I really didn't think that was the problem.

John and I are still working on this since the other mail client choices disappeared from the Control Panel, so I can't try them. John has different options like we used to have and he tested them. There is a problem on MY end but John had a different email blocked from a free account from a customer. That added to the confusion. They resolved that problem quickly. Too bad I'm still waiting.

Can't they reinstall Squirrelmail if it's not working on my mail server?
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design

Thumbs up

I just sent email to John using atmail instead of squirrelmail and it went
    to his inbox! So I sent a spam test using atmail.

Not blacklisted! 9/10 score! (I tested squirrelmail and it was blacklisted on SORBS-SPAM but not atmail.)

As I have said before, Squirrelmail configuration was my main problem. I luckily found the atmail option in the control panel.

My spam is still not being marked as spam as set up in the control panel. But the Sent folder now works and I can email John at his business email account.

I hope this helps other people.
    Yvette Kuhns
    Power Pages Web Design