Thread: Windows 10 upgrade

Thinkin' out loud again Builder's Avatar

Windows 10 upgrade

Just started the "download now, install later" process to upgrade from 8.1 to 10. Any advice from anyone who's already done this? Yeah, yeah I know. Back up your stuff idiot. I'll deal with that. Just wondering about any hiccups anyone may have had.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
    but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn... that was fun!"

I have upgraded 3 computers from windows 7 or 8 to 10, mostly without issue. I have one computer that after booting sometimes fails to recognize the network adapter, but a quick scan for hardware changes resolves it. This could be a coincidental hardware issue, but it was not a problem before upgrading.

I liked the 'photo viewer' for printing photos from windows 7. The default app on windows 10 I like less, but I recently learned the photo viewer app is still there, just need to right-click and 'open with''.

It also felt funny not having to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by tpoynton View Post
    I liked the 'photo viewer' for printing photos from windows 7. The default app on windows 10 I like less, but I recently learned the photo viewer app is still there, just need to right-click and 'open with''.
    I never had Windows 7 but was not enamored with the default viewer in 8/8.1. It may have been the same as 7's though . So apparently you can't make the "old" version the default viewer in 10?

Quote Originally Posted by tpoynton View Post
    It also felt funny not having to pay for it.
    Indeed! This computer started with Win8. Upgraded to 8.1 for free, now getting 10 for free. I read somewhere that this is "the last version of Windows". In other words if you have Win10 you will get upgraded/updated free for the life of the machine. Apply your own definition for "life of the machine" . At some point there's gonna be hardware issues.

Anyway, thanks for the insight!
    Kevin
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Builder View Post
    So apparently you can't make the "old" version the default viewer in 10?
    You can set it as default app on windows 10...I like the new app for looking at photos, and the old one for printing them so I am destined to go through the pain of right-clicking and finding the app through 'open with'

I do like the search in windows 10 better than any other version of windows - for example, to see if I could set the windows photo viewer as default app, I clicked on the magnifying glass and typed 'def', and the default programs app appeared quickly. I could never quite get the hang of windows 8 in terms of finding this kind of thing quickly, 10 is much more intuitive to me! Good luck!

Aah, I get it now on the viewers.

Everything is downloaded. I'll probably pull the trigger later this evening.

Thanks again!
    "Damn... that was fun!"

I gave in and tried to download it this morning, instead of just ending the 'update available notifier'. After 5 1/2 hours the dialog still said "Starting Download". All the time I spent giving that dialog focus and staring at the 'circle of dots' was making me dizzy, so I X'd it. Maybe next week or sooner or later, I'll try it again. Win7 HP in the meantime..
    Last edited by snowmaker; 12-16-15 at 07:59 AM.
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Well, it's done. Yesterday was a fabulous day for weather here so I started the upgrade in the morning then went outside to do yard work and other things. The upgrade apparently went very smoothly. A couple apps didn't convert over, one of which I expected, but no big deal.

First impressions:
    1) Not liking the new Start Menu a whole lot, but maybe it's just that I'm old, in the way, and not used to it yet. It's OK, but it's seriously app-oriented rather than document/file oriented. That's kind of opposite of how I work on a computer. Phone yes, computer no. I may have to find another emulator like I had on Win8.

2) Was very PO'd about an app that got installed without notice: My Toshiba (this is, duh, a Toshiba computer). That app is just an advertising tool and an attempt to make money. It doesn't show up in Control Panel's list of installed programs so you can't uninstall it from there. You can't get to the folder the executable is in -- even as administrator! I hunted and Googled all over before I finally thought, "Let's just right-click on the Start Menu entry and see what happens." Lo and behold an uninstall option was there. Gone.
    2a) One slight "glitch" was a PDF printer driver / creator which somehow became the default program for opening the Documents folder. I know! Huh? It wasn't exactly obvious up front what was going on until I checked in Task Manager. Disabled the creator and the folder now opens correctly with File Explorer.

3) I like the new "Task View" button on the task bar, as well as the new "Action Center" which is an extension of the Win8 Notification Center. AND -- the calendar that pops up when you click on the date/time is finally large enough for me to read!

4) Microsoft has finally come out with a decent web browser. Edge, as it's named, has some intriguing capabilities that may be useful in the future. And it's way ahead of IE11 in terms of HTML5/CSS3 compatibility from what I've read. At least it finally recognizes the <main> tag. Which fixes the rendering of my Troop's website on MS browsers; well, one of them anyway. Of course I'll have to wait 15 years before IE-everything is finally expunged from the world.

All in all it's a plus. Especially for free.

Kevin
    "Damn... that was fun!"

My apologies for being a little late to reply - but for anyone else contemplating an upgrade from either windows7, 8 or 8.1 - be patient!

I've done the upgrade a number of times on a number of older machines and new ones. Each time it seems to have a problem and boots to a black screen. If you leave things for long enough it sorts itself out. (I generally get impatient and restart the computer with no ill effects, except more blackscreens!)

My other advice is to download and store the windows 10 update executable rather than download it on each machine. I downloaded it for both 32bit and 64bit computers as I have a mixture of machines. By downloading it and storing it on a thumb/flash drive it is always available, even when it's not freely available from Microsoft.
    This is a Powweb customer
    helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
    Give it a go - ask here first!

Heh! Since I basically walked away from the computer for 3 hours or so I didn't need patience and never saw black screens -- if they were even there.

I'll have to find that executable. Assuming Windows didn't delete it when the installation/upgrade was complete.
    "Damn... that was fun!"

Being Patient - Don't start upgrade during peak need time.

Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    My apologies for being a little late to reply - but for anyone else contemplating an upgrade from either windows7, 8 or 8.1 - be patient!
    I too have done a number of Windows 10 upgrades, and you hit the nail on the head. How long the upgrade takes seems directly proportional to how many (and what kind of..) applications you have installed on your computer.

Case in point: A friend of mine has very little on her PC. She mainly writes documents, surfs, does email. Her upgrade was done in less than an hour. My computer, on the other hand, has LOTS of applications installed, as I am a tech teacher and I.T. manager - and some of them were legacy versions - i.e. Old Stuff. To Microsoft's credit, I only lost 1 program that was completely incompatible with Windows 10. However, my upgrade process took almost FIVE HOURS... Others I've done and/or heard of have run 1-2 hours average.

TAKEAWAY: Don't do this at work during production time, or at some critical point at home when you're likely to need the computer soon. If you've heard others being done in an hour, its possible, but it all depends on the individual configuration.
    Mark R. Magill
    Word for Life World Ministries
    Free Christian MP3 music, sermons, DVDs & more.