Thread: How to do multiple inserts ?

How to do multiple inserts ?

Hello.

Im wondering waht is the best / 'propper' way to do multiple inserts of data into MYSQL.

Ive got anywhere from a few dozen - to hundreds to do.

Is it safe to

:-Open the MYSQLI database

- do a foreach loop

- insert on update etc....

end loop

- close the MYSQLI database.

is it safe / propper to insert a lot of Inserts like this in one go ?

PS - I can / know how to do this in steps - IE one insert every 5 mins until all of them done... But i'm looking for a faster way, but not sure how far i can go
    Last edited by PeterPan; 7-15-16 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Spalling mispikes

My database coding knowledge is nearly non existent, but in any other coding languages that I know, I would opt for some kind of loop to do that type of operation.
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

The process is easy enough to do _ The question i'm asking is - Is it safe to do 10 at a time? 100 at a time ? 1000 at a a time ? 10,000 at a time ?

$sql="INSERT INTO `nwcategories` (`CatLatest`, `CatUNIQUE`, `CatReference`, `CatCategory`)
    VALUES(NOW(), \"$unique\", \"$ID\", \"$ax\") ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE `CatLatest`=NOW()";

(do / process SQL)

$sql="INSERT INTO `nwcategories` (`CatLatest`, `CatUNIQUE`, `CatReference`, `CatCategory`)
    VALUES(NOW(), \"$unique\", \"$ID\", \"$ax\") ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE `CatLatest`=NOW()";

(do / process SQL)

(do / process SQL)

(do / process SQL)

(do / process SQL)

Close MYSQL... (in a loop)

Well I couldn't really say if it's safe or not safe. I know that loops are a lot easier to write and manage.. I'm sure that someone with more MySQL coding experience could tell you, perhaps going to a database forum would get you a quicker answer..
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'