Thread: Character encoding problems - can't get tildes to appear correctly.

Character encoding problems - can't get tildes to appear correctly.

I'm beating my head against a wall because I can't understand why tilde's are not working on my website. It seems they were working before and now they are not.

My entire site has a character encoding of UTF-8. I checked MySQL and it's also set to UTF-8. But when I visit a page on my site that contains special characters like tildes or accents (e.g. ), they appear as a question mark (?). I'd attach a screenshot but this stupid forum's upload feature won't let me attach a .jpg file because it says it's an "invalid image format." Nice.

Anyway, I can't figure out what's wrong. The PHP.INI file never had a straight encoding designation, but just for kicks, I explicitly set it to UTF-8. Still nothing. I added meta tag headers to explicitly set the character encoding. Still nothing.
    I checked how the characters physically appear in MySQL using PHPMyAdmin....they appear correctly as expected.

So why won't my website render the accents???!?!? So frustrating.

Try
    Code:
    & # 126 ; (w/o the spaces)
    for a tilde. Visit this site for more HTML codes - http://www.ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm
    -bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
    'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Yes, I know how to brute-force character encode but the problem is that I shouldn't have to do that. If I set everything to UTF-8, then it should be stored in MySQL as UTF-8 and it should render as UTF-8. And, if I were to brute-force encode like that, then my web application will just revert the encoding to the actual accented character instead of the brute-force character encoding once I make an update using an online form, and it will get stored in the database as the actual character, not the character entity.

I have 10 years worth of encoding that is now not rendering correctly when it was in the recent past. And I don't know why.

What browser do you use? Try viewing your website with a different browser, see if there is any difference.

It fails on all the major browsers: IE, Edge, Chrome, Firefox.

If I do "echo mb_detect_encoding($DatabaseContent)" of the content coming from MySQL, it returns "UTF-8". So I know the content is being returned as UTF-8. But, for some unknown reason, it simply won't render the accent marks and tildes correctly.

Oh. I'm kinda at a loss as to what to suggest next. I use iso-8859-1 encoding for my site. I use PHP extensively, but hardly any MySQL. Well, none at all right now..

Ok, thanks, snowmaker. I'll keep digging.

Good Luck bud.