PowWeb Forums - The Perfect Community for the Perfect Host  

Register now to interact with over 11,000 members! Registered users have Posting Privileges, free access to Private Messaging, Email Notifications and more.

Go Back   PowWeb Community Forums > Other Forums > Member Spotlight
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 2-5-07, 01:56 PM   #1
joshuamc

keyplyr

keyplyr
Member Spotlight #11

Name: D C DowDell

Computer(s):
Main machine: Shuttle XPC 3.9mhz Pentium4 dual core, 2 gig RAM, 400 gig HD
Recording Studio: Hewlett Packard 3.2mhz AMDxp, 1 gig RAM, 100 gig HD, linked to 200 gig external HD.

How long have you been a PowWeb customer?
I moved my website to Powweb in March of 2000.

How much time, on average, do you spend at the PowWeb Forums per day?
On average, I spend a cumulative hour unless I'm following an issue that's being discussed or helping someone debug code.

Are you a web designer or programmer? If yes, When did you create your first web site?
I'm both a web designer and programmer. I put up my first handful of web pages on the University of California, San Diego servers in 1992. Believe me when I say they looked nothing like web pages do now - LOL

What advice would you give a first time web hosting client?
It would depend on what their online goals are, but in general I would tell even the amateur hobbyist to learn to code by hand. I feel it's a waste of time learning specific software that may or not be applicable in the future, or even exist for that matter.

How do you see the web changing in the next five years?
I see it becoming more dynamic in almost every way, especially in the mobile arena. For every desktop purchased, 20 times as many laptops, PDAs, cell phones and other mobile internet appliances get sold each day.

What are your other hobbies?
Music, music and more music. Did I mention music?

Favorite books, television shows or movies?
Books: Other than my own?
Television Shows: No favorites
Movies: Dogma, Brazil, Caligula, 5th Element, Angel Heart, 12 Monkeys

What is your favorite quote or saying?
"Ah... those jazz guys are just mak'n that stuff up" - Homer Simpson.
Old 2-5-07, 02:09 PM   #2
BerksWebGuy
Mod Squad

Another club member...welcome!

Its always nice to see a favorite quote by Homer Simpson
Old 2-5-07, 09:32 PM   #3
Croc Hunter
Mod.. with bite..

Nice to learn more about you keyplyr. That hour you spend here you put to good use, you're a great help in the forums. Keep posting mate. What did you write, music books?
Old 2-6-07, 09:29 AM   #4
tbonekkt

Who are your favorite jazz artists and what are your favorite jazz charts?

Mine:
Artists: Maynard Ferguson, Miles Davis, Louie Bellson, Stan Kenton
Charts: Sambandrea Swing, Four, Birdland, MacArthur Park, Malaguena, Malaga, Artistry in Rhythm
Old 2-6-07, 12:00 PM   #5
YvetteKuhns

keyplyr, any truth to the rumour that you dated the blue singer in the movie 5th Element? And is she related to the Blue Man Group?

I think it is difficult to pick favorite jazz musicians or even songs. You can probably pick styles of music such as classical jazz, contemporary, progressive or even fusion. It seems that most jazz fans will mention Miles Davis.

As a teenager with more time than I have now, I used to listen to the Jazz Show with David Sanborn who was a sexy saxophone player. Mmmmm....... Love that photo on the Straight to the Heart album. Anyway, he played old and new jazz and I remember Bobby McFerrin singing a song about/for the show. Bobby is funny, but not the caliber of the other artists featured on the show.

Another favorite was guitarist Lee Ritenour. I have an signed photo sent to be directly from him. A relative of his worked in the music section of a local KMart! She commented about me buying his (vinyl) records and asked him for stuff. I got postcards and notices of upcoming albums. He is only 5 feet 2 inches or something like that, a bit shorter than I am. Very nice guy.

Yeah, these are more jazz/pop artists, but they helped my generation hear jazz. Then you look for THEIR influences. I haven't heard much new jazz. I can't seem to find anything on the radio anymore. I don't care for hip hop/rap music or country/pop music and there seems to be plenty of that. So I mostly hear classic rock (my generation) or oldies (my husband's generation). More music and less foul language. Some cool blues or jazz still on college radio, but not like before or I just don't seem to find it.

For jazz, we need musicians and enthusiasts to share information. That is why the Internet is so important. Everyone must visit these websites and tell others to do so. Or check the local events for concert listings. I love romantic jazz for that romantic candlelight dinner. Okay, this may be a fantasy, but it sure beats listening to my son and my husband playing musical fruit wars at the table.
Old 2-6-07, 02:41 PM   #7
YvetteKuhns

Herbie Hancock?! Remember his version of Watermelon Man? How about that stupid Rock It video in the 1980s that was more pop than jazz? Ha ha. I hate to admit I heard those other cats, 'cause I will appear older than I am. I just dig those older cats. They got rhythm!
Old 2-6-07, 03:10 PM   #8
Kitchensink108

3.9mhz P4 Dual Core?
I assume that's supposed to be ghz, first off. And is that overclocked? If so, from what?
I suppose same question for the AMD, as I can't remember any AMD processors above 2.8ghz.
Old 2-6-07, 08:39 PM   #9
symo
Really, I'm better now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyplyr View Post
Well I like all those cats (played with Maynard) but when people ask me about favorites, I tend to think of pianists, being one myself. Those would include Bill Evans, Billy Childs, Oscar Peterson, Herbie Hancock, Mulgrew Miller... and others. I currently have the hots for Diana Krall
Another deserving victim for the Hall of Spotlight

Piano? I could listen to Joe Sample for hours.

Welcome to the club keyplyr

symo
Old 2-7-07, 11:19 AM   #10
Builder
Thinkin' out loud again

Great to know more about you, keyplyr! And welcome to the club.

Years ago I played in jazz bands in high school and college. Being a trumpet player I gravitated toward listening to those guys (Maynard, et al) at the time. I saw Maynard in concert here about a year ago and the guy I was most impressed with in his band was his drummer. Then Maynard went and died on us about 6 months after that. Our local jazz station had about a 3 hour tribute to him that day.

I'll agree with you about Diana Krall.

Kevin
Old 2-7-07, 04:55 PM   #11
joshuamc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builder View Post
Great to know more about you, keyplyr! And welcome to the club.

Years ago I played in jazz bands in high school and college. Being a trumpet player I gravitated toward listening to those guys (Maynard, et al) at the time. I saw Maynard in concert here about a year ago and the guy I was most impressed with in his band was his drummer. Then Maynard went and died on us about 6 months after that. Our local jazz station had about a 3 hour tribute to him that day.

I'll agree with you about Diana Krall.

Kevin
Maynard? As in Maynard Ferguson?? Ha. I haven't heard that name or listened to his stuff since high school when my band director gave me some of his old Maynard vinyls to listen to. I was also a trumpet player.

Man, I envy his range. How he was able to hit some of those notes and keep doing it as he got older, I'll never know.
Old 2-7-07, 05:13 PM   #12
tbonekkt

I had the honor of meeting Maynard in either January or February of 1998. He came to Lubbock my freshman year at Texas Tech for a concert at Lubbock High School. The concert was simply amazing. At one point, Maynard went offstage during a medley of his most well-known hits: Birdland, MacArthur Park, Gonna Fly Now, and others. I figured he went to get some water or something. Nope. After three minutes the man appears at the back of the auditorium and began to mingle and talk to people in the audience as the band kept playing. He didn’t come near my seat unfortunately.

After the concert which lasted about an hour and a half, my friends and I went backstage hoping to get the chance to meet him. To our surprise, not fifteen minutes after the concert, the man comes out from his dressing room and actually began talking to those of us backstage. Class act. A real class act.
Old 2-7-07, 08:08 PM   #13
Builder
Thinkin' out loud again

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuamc View Post
old Maynard vinyls
To show you how old I am, I still have 2 or 3 of those laying around here somewhere. Conquistador, and I don't remember the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuamc View Post
Man, I envy his range. How he was able to hit some of those notes and keep doing it as he got older, I'll never know.
Yep, a lot of range, but there usually wasn't a whole lot going on technically. Boy could he wail, though! He was still doing it at that concert I went to last year. He was what -- 78? 79? Jeez, I just hope to live that long...

Kevin
Closed Thread