PowWeb Forums - The Perfect Community for the Perfect Host  

Register now to interact with over 11,000 members! Registered users have Posting Privileges, free access to Private Messaging, Email Notifications and more.

Go Back   PowWeb Community Forums > Webmaster Resource Center > Search Engines/Site Promotion/Affiliate Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 8-2-10, 08:40 AM   #1
Croc Hunter
Mod.. with bite..

Google PageRank Bot

Has anyone noticed the Google PageRank bot that was due in July hasn't visited?
Old 8-2-10, 09:37 AM   #2
rainbore
Rick

PageRank bot? Do you mean a Toolbar PageRank update? Seems to me they did an update not long ago.
Old 8-3-10, 01:04 AM   #3
Croc Hunter
Mod.. with bite..

Yeah, I believe Google has PageRank bots that collect data from websites, they calculate PR results from this data in-house and release or apply the updated results every three months. Last update was due in July. Matt Cutts said, "The Google Dance (pagerank update) happens early january, april, july, november (for main pages)"
Old 8-3-10, 08:26 PM   #4
rainbore
Rick

There aren't any special bots for calculating PageRank. While Google has some specialized bots for images, mobile, and AdSense, their primary bot - plain old Googlebot - is the crawler for page content and link data. Their internal PageRank information is calculated from that link data and is updated continuously. The Google Toolbar gets its PageRank information from a dedicated database that is only updated quarterly. And I believe the last update was in July, which would be about right.
Old 8-3-10, 11:07 PM   #5
entrecon
Custom User Title

There was recently a google update on their algorithm that shows data in the engine faster and give a higher priority to more recent data. This is why you will see some twitter results in searches as well.
Old 8-3-10, 11:35 PM   #6
Croc Hunter
Mod.. with bite..

Hmm ok, not specialized bots. Matt used the term "main pages" which is pretty open to interpretion. Some of the pages that were seemingly missed in July (i.e. were not assigned a PR) are more than two months old. They are lengthy keyword word rich wordpress posts with dozens of comments. Guess they'll have to wait till November. :/
Old 8-4-10, 07:39 AM   #7
entrecon
Custom User Title

I have a website that I was just looking at that, for some reason, is showing a PR of 0 and it doesn't make sense to me. It is a quality site with good links and has been established for a while. It does decent with the search engines, it is just curious.

Any ideas? http://phpmm.org (Note: not hosted on PowWeb)
Old 8-4-10, 09:37 AM   #8
rainbore
Rick

Croc - For some time, Google has been making quality assessments of webpages which can cause some pages to show no PageRank ("gray bar"). If those pages are in the index, there's good evidence that they have some general value for the site as a whole despite the Toolbar display, but are unlikely to rank well themselves. You'll often see this on HTML sitemap pages, contact forms, and other pages with less "meat", but it can also happen on pages where the cause seems inexplicable.

entrecon - http://phpmm.org/ responds with a 302 redirect to https://phpmm.org/Default.aspx, which is problematic for search engines because 302 means "Moved Temporarily". It should be a 301 redirect, which means "Moved Permanently", and it would be best if the redirect was pointing to the root URL rather than /Default.aspx. As it stands, there are some pages in Google's index from the http:// and some from the https://. If you start to work on this issue, it would also be the perfect time to also incorporate redirects for requests that use the "www." subdomain prefix. In addition to the 301 redirect, I would suggest using the Change of Address form in the Webmaster Tools console to inform Google of the preferred domain/URL since I know it can be tough to do 301's on IIs systems sometimes. You'll also want to register the https:// domain, of course. If you're a glutton for punishment, you can check out my article on Search Engine Canonicalization.
Old 8-4-10, 10:09 AM   #9
entrecon
Custom User Title

I will definately check out the article.

We recently implemented the https, which I thought might be part of the problem. We are in an odd situation with the website, I will not go into the whole story. Suffice it to say that it involves a parent company and a host that manages most of the back end and the company just manages the front end content part. We are currently in the process of improving the way we manage stuff, but it is a large ship and takes time to turn.
Old 8-7-10, 01:33 PM   #10
dvduval
Registered

It's been over 4 months now with the last pagerank update April 2nd. It shouldn't be much longer.
Old 2-22-11, 07:29 AM   #11
Crish Bronzs
Registered

Post Re :

I am also facing problem . No page rank updated since long time. Its been 5-6 months. I don't get how it works ?
Old 9-19-11, 01:12 AM   #12
Habbakuk
on hiatus

There is no info when Google does a PR update, they don't publicly announce it.
Closed Thread