PowWeb Forums - The Perfect Community for the Perfect Host  

Register now to interact with over 11,000 members! Registered users have Posting Privileges, free access to Private Messaging, Email Notifications and more.

Go Back   PowWeb Community Forums > Webmaster Resource Center > Web Site Critique/Review
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 3-16-12, 03:31 PM   #1
shadeofpale
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: cedar rapids iowa
Posts: 8
Reputation: 0
Critique my site please

I'm sorry, on my first post I did not state that Powweb does NOT host my site. I use apache from home to get my site out there.
I just wanted some truth, no matter how harsh, that would open my eyes to a better way of doing things. Like becoming crossbrowser compatable.
I'm not selling anything or going blog crazy...just put up thingsI enjoy, and to share with others.
www.mikalz.com

Thank you
shadeofpale is offline  
Old 3-17-12, 11:05 AM   #2
rainbore
Rick
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,719
Reputation: 280
Start by buying a conventional hosting package. Your site was inaccessible when I just tried to check it. If you want other people to visit and revisit your site, you'll want a much more reliable setup than home hosting can provide. Even a free host would be better than what you have, but commercial hosting is dirt cheap these days and you get Email and technical support included. For less than $10/month, it's a no-brainer. Good luck!
__________________
Rick Trethewey
rainbore is offline  
Old 3-17-12, 02:06 PM   #3
shadeofpale
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: cedar rapids iowa
Posts: 8
Reputation: 0
Firewall setup

That's strange because you are the first that has told me you couldn't even view my site. I don't know enough about computers to tell you the reason why, I just think that maybe you are blocking ip addresses like with a firewall or something. Sorry.
I have gone thru Y web hosting and it was a nightmare. Everything I posted they told me to take it off my site. They finally deactivated my account. That's why I went to apache. Not that I know anything about copyright laws, I just thought I could put out there what I wanted...like music videos, or audio books and whatnot with apache.
I'm really not that knowledgeable when it comes to the whole file sharing thing, but I'm learning.
Thanks for your post

Last edited by IanS; 3-17-12 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: removed comptetitor name
shadeofpale is offline  
Old 3-17-12, 02:51 PM   #4
IanS
Former Spam Filter (EU)
 
IanS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Washington (THE original UK one!)
Posts: 12,899
Reputation: 488
I don't think you need to be an expert to understand that if you didn't make the original music or video (that is video yourself or play the music) then it is copyright material and you can't post it online without paying the ones who did or without getting their permission.

You couldn't host it on a Y. site nor would you be allowed to host it on Powweb or most other places. The copyright holders to some music are getting very agressive in tracking down and taking to court (and winning!) anyone who hosts material that they shouldn't. I hope you have a multi-million dollar war-chest to fight in court- they do!
__________________
This is a Powweb customer
helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
Give it a go - ask here first!
IanS is offline  
Old 3-17-12, 04:11 PM   #5
shadeofpale
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: cedar rapids iowa
Posts: 8
Reputation: 0
File Sharing

Ok lans, if sharing files is to be made legal, do you have to have a register page for members who would have to sign in to view your goods? Like my people in California who download my mp3's and whatnot. Is there a legal way to fileshare? I mean youtube lets you post their videos on facebook or your site right? So just showing them on your site shouldn't be a problem. But the audio books and mp3s I can see where that could be a problem.
I'm just gonna have to read more before I get shutdown...I can live with getting rid of a few things.

Last edited by shadeofpale; 3-17-12 at 05:24 PM..
shadeofpale is offline  
Old 3-18-12, 05:14 AM   #6
IanS
Former Spam Filter (EU)
 
IanS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Washington (THE original UK one!)
Posts: 12,899
Reputation: 488
Sharing of files isn't illegal, many companies share the product of their work via Word or other files. What is illegal in many areas is sharing of other peoples work such video pop and mp3's.

I'm no legal expert, I'm even in a different country to you, so I'm not offering legal advice here.

YouTube and others have sophisticated ways of checking the sources of files and deals with the big copyright groups to do what they do. All I'm saying is be careful. Having a membership system and a registration page will reduce problems. If you allow others to post their videos etc then get disclaimers put all over your site and waivers from them.
__________________
This is a Powweb customer
helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
Give it a go - ask here first!
IanS is offline  
Old 3-19-12, 12:09 PM   #7
Builder
Thinkin' out loud again
 
Builder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,955
Reputation: 272
A very good, basic primer on copyright laws and the internet written in non-legaleze:
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

And as Ian said, I'm not a legal expert, but one thing stuck out as I read that article for the first time in several years (emphasis is mine):
Quote:
in the 90s in the USA commercial copyright violation involving more than 10 copies and value over $2500 was made a felony.
Good luck,
Kevin
__________________
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn... that was fun!"
Builder is offline  
Old 3-19-12, 04:13 PM   #8
entrecon
Custom User Title
 
entrecon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,718
Reputation: 337
When I just tried to access the site it took a while and then failed. However, when I did an F5 it did load.

If you are hosting from your home machine you may want to check the ToS for your provider as well. To keep traffic levels at a reasonable level, some cable companies have policies against hosting sites on your home computer.

Another note, when you tie it to your home computer, it reveals information about you that you might not want shared.

unless I am mistaken, it looks like you might be in Robins, IA and using Mediacom to get your internet access. If this is the case, then you should know that according to their terms of use:
Quote:
The Service may not be used in conjunction with routers or servers, including Electronic Mail, NAT, DHCP, DNS and WEB servers
__________________
________________________________
Find me on twitter: @entrecon
entrecon is offline  
Old 3-19-12, 04:28 PM   #9
shadeofpale
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: cedar rapids iowa
Posts: 8
Reputation: 0
Good Article

Man, that kinda puts it out there fairly clear. So...looking over my site I am going to have to get rid of the audio books, movies, and mp3's. I can embed a player that visitors can listen to whatever album, just don't offer it for download. I've gotten permission for the Artwork before, on another site a few years back. So I should get permission again I hope. And the music videos are from youtube, which allows you to put them on your site.
So what do you think? That should cover the copyright paranoid trip I'm on?

Thanks for pointing me to that article!!!
shadeofpale is offline  
Old 3-19-12, 04:32 PM   #10
shadeofpale
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: cedar rapids iowa
Posts: 8
Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by entrecon View Post
When I just tried to access the site it took a while and then failed. However, when I did an F5 it did load.

If you are hosting from your home machine you may want to check the ToS for your provider as well. To keep traffic levels at a reasonable level, some cable companies have policies against hosting sites on your home computer.

Another note, when you tie it to your home computer, it reveals information about you that you might not want shared.

unless I am mistaken, it looks like you might be in Robins, IA and using Mediacom to get your internet access. If this is the case, then you should know that according to their terms of use:
Yes, Iv'e been thinking of getting back into a webhosting site to publish my site. I do feel unsafe hosting from home. Thanks for your info!
shadeofpale is offline  
Old 3-19-12, 06:35 PM   #11
Builder
Thinkin' out loud again
 
Builder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,955
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadeofpale View Post
I've gotten permission for the Artwork before, on another site a few years back. So I should get permission again I hope. And the music videos are from youtube, which allows you to put them on your site.
So what do you think? That should cover the copyright paranoid trip I'm on?
If you have specific, preferably written, permission for the artwork you should be OK. AFAIK just linking to copyrighted material is fine as long as you don't give the impression on your site that it is yours. So linking to a YouTube video is probably not gonna put you in prison.

Again, I'm not a lawyer and have never played one on TV (telly for you Brits), so take anything I post with a mondo grain of salt.

Good luck,
Kevin
__________________
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn... that was fun!"
Builder is offline  
Old 3-19-12, 07:45 PM   #12
IanS
Former Spam Filter (EU)
 
IanS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Washington (THE original UK one!)
Posts: 12,899
Reputation: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadeofpale View Post
Man, that kinda puts it out there fairly clear. So...looking over my site I am going to have to get rid of the audio books, movies, and mp3's. I can embed a player that visitors can listen to whatever album, just don't offer it for download. I've gotten permission for the Artwork before, on another site a few years back. So I should get permission again I hope. And the music videos are from youtube, which allows you to put them on your site.
So what do you think? That should cover the copyright paranoid trip I'm on?

Thanks for pointing me to that article!!!
My understanding would be that allowing others to listen to 'whatever' albums would require permission as well. They do need to download it to hear it, even if you're using streaming software. Otherwise why would radio stations have to pay so much royalty fees when they play on their websites. (Again, taken from my understanding of British law - not too dis-similar to US law as portrayed in the media.) This is not legal advice!

Kevin, we've taken the American 'culture' to heart now and call it TV as well. So much for progress
__________________
This is a Powweb customer
helping Powweb customer forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
Give it a go - ask here first!
IanS is offline  
Old 3-20-12, 02:03 AM   #13
shadeofpale
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: cedar rapids iowa
Posts: 8
Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post
My understanding would be that allowing others to listen to 'whatever' albums would require permission as well. They do need to download it to hear it, even if you're using streaming software. Otherwise why would radio stations have to pay so much royalty fees when they play on their websites. (Again, taken from my understanding of British law - not too dis-similar to US law as portrayed in the media.) This is not legal advice!

Kevin, we've taken the American 'culture' to heart now and call it TV as well. So much for progress
I have a program called wimpy that pops up a jukebox thingie to where you can listen without downloading any mp3s. Or a player for that matter.
Yeah I'm kinda tripped out over this whole thing...already started a new site and am going to make sure I can stay legal. Websites are really fun for me, and at 60 yrs old I need something to keep my brain ticking lol.
I appreciate all of you that have reviewed my site...ty
shadeofpale is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:29 AM.


Contents ©PowWeb, Inc. ~ vBulletin, Copyright 2000-2007 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.