PowWeb Forums - The Perfect Community for the Perfect Host  

Register now to interact with over 11,000 members! Registered users have Posting Privileges, free access to Private Messaging, Email Notifications and more.

Go Back   PowWeb Community Forums > The PowWeb Platform > General Issues / Questions
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4-18-12, 08:27 PM   #1
rfrick

Upside down webpage!

I have a Perl program that takes uploaded information and produces a webpage. Yesterday, a webpage ended up upside down!

Here is the link: http://110bridge.com/gr/012041787729c1.htm

I would suspect a once-in-a-million fluke except the same thing happened last week. If you look at the source code, it is like ǝɹoɔs ʇןnsǝɹ sʌ ןnʌ ɹןp pɹq That's presumably the code for upside down letters.

My program has been running daily for like 10 years without seeing this problem or anything remotely like it. If you think of the effort it would take to do that intentionally, it really can't be a bug. Even if something converted every symbol to that code, you still would have the symbols in the forward order -- it also had to reverse the order of the symbols.

I guess it is a practical joke by some hacker. If so, I like it. But it will get tiring if it happens again.

Bob
rfrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-20-12, 02:42 PM   #2
entrecon
Custom User Title

Not knowing anything about it, is there any chance that there is something on the input that would trigger it?
Old 4-21-12, 03:35 PM   #3
rfrick

The input is text, i think. From a standard source, so there can't be any clever tricks in it. It's from a program and I have been using the same program for input for the last 10 years (with updates)

So pretty impossible to be the input.
rfrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-23-12, 12:06 PM   #4
entrecon
Custom User Title

I guess I wasn't thinking tricks as much as an accident. Depending on how the values are being read in, if you haven't escaped out all the code a semi-colon or quote in the input. If there was something in recent files that weren't in previous files it could explain it.