PowWeb Forums - The Perfect Community for the Perfect Host  

Register now to interact with over 11,000 members! Registered users have Posting Privileges, free access to Private Messaging, Email Notifications and more.

Go Back   PowWeb Community Forums > The PowWeb Platform > General Issues / Questions
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4-23-12, 03:19 PM   #1
Novacaine
Registered

Slow loading website

I took advantage of the scripts powweb offered a little while back and installed wordpress. After setting up my site using word press I noticed that everything loaded very slowly.

I installed firefox and firebug to see how slow it was and many of the pages are 5-10 seconds to load. And it looks like the delay is all at the front loading the page. Could powweb be the problem. I'm not technical so if any help could be somewhat simple to follow that would be great.

The site is www.rivetwars.com

I'd appreciate any advice because I'm pretty close to just going back to a simple html site.
Novacaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-23-12, 07:43 PM   #2
Builder
Thinkin' out loud again

It all has to do with file sizes and page size. By my count you have 42 graphics/photographs on your opening page. That's on top of your text and the Wordpress page layout. Here's a breakdown:
  • You have over 800kb of images on your opening page
  • Your banner is 200+kb which I reduced to ~65kb just by reducing the color depth in Irfanview -- and I double-dog dare you to tell the difference. I'll leave it to you to look all this up.
  • Your opening page is 12 "screens" long. 3-4 should be the max. No one looks past the first 2 anyway.
  • Going along with the previous, if you were to print the page it would be 8+ sheets of paper.
  • In your latest post on the page (and by the way, "Saturday, April 26, 2012" cannot be -- April 26, 2012 is a Thursday) you have 24 pictures, not all of which even loaded for me. Each picture in that post averages around 10kb -- 240kb right there, not including the text.

All in all, for close to a meg's worth of data, 5-10 seconds to load is not a bad time. If you want faster, you have several options:
  • Remove some of the graphics/photographs (do you really need 24 photographs about the same trip on your opening page?).
  • Optimize same (see above comment on your banner)
  • Move some of the graphics/photographs to another, more relevant page.

BTW, cool artwork! I can see how some of that would really work on toy boxes. I'd buy it if I was 40 years younger.

Good luck,
Kevin
Builder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4-24-12, 10:56 AM   #3
Novacaine
Registered

Builder thanks for the kind words about my art and for the feedback. I appreciate you taking all that time.

I added a new theme and in the process reduced the number of posts on the first page. What seems odd to me is how slow some of the graphics light pages load. Such as the Faq page. I would think the header graphic is already loaded so that wouldn't matter much when going to the Faq page. Also when my site was just html it was just as graphic heavy but loaded in less that one second. That's what made me think it was something to do with wordpress and php.

I'll keep an eye on things as I update to try and slim things down. Again thanks for the help!
Old 4-24-12, 12:42 PM   #4
shrupa

Just try w3total cache?
Old 4-24-12, 05:31 PM   #5
lonerunner
Registered

Wordpress is basically very good and fast loading cms. What Builder said you should definitely inspect. Big images and bad optimization can lead to slow loading and big bandwith. What i might add as a good idea is to use post excerpt option in wordpress or to split posts with read more button, it's not good idea to load full posts on blog page.

To check your website you can go there http://tools.pingdom.com

For me your website is loading very fast (2-3 seconds) What make it slow is response time. It need 4-5 seconds to start load website but this is normal because im in europe and your website is hosted in US.

Last edited by snowmaker; 4-24-12 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: edited URL
lonerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-25-12, 12:18 AM   #6
Novacaine
Registered

I'll have to rewrite my answer. A server problem brought down the forums as I was posting before. Thanks everyone for the responses and help.

I installed total cache. Had to install an older version because powweb doesn't support the lates wordpress and some parts of the plugin are disabled since powweb also doesn't support php5. I don't know what that means really but installing the plugin didn't seem to make much of a difference. I followed the sites recommended settings.

Lone - I tried that website and got 7 and 8 second load time readings. There was more than 6 seconds of waiting? But I'm in the US? Also, as an artist I really don't want to limit the number of images on my site or the quality. I understand not to use uncompressed files but the loading of the jpgs is not causing the delay.

I really thought wordpress would be easier to use than this. Thanks again guys for all the help and ideas. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by Novacaine; 4-25-12 at 10:02 AM..
Old 4-25-12, 12:29 AM   #7
snowmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacaine View Post
A server problem brought down the forums as I was posting before.
That was server maintenance that occurs every night around this time (Midnight EST), and lasts for a few minutes.
Old 4-25-12, 10:54 AM   #8
entrecon
Custom User Title

I am looking at the code quickly and you need to really look at what you have loading up. On the Toys page I noticed that you have Google analytics in the Head section and then it appears again lower in the body. Also look at the modules you have loaded in, there is some Javascript you have running that may not need to load (i.e. l10n.js).

From my side it really looks like it is an issue prior to loading the actual page, Maybe something in one of the scripts. I have never used it, so I don't know if it is impacting the load time or not, but also look at the profile attribute that you have added to the head of your documents.

Last edited by IanS; 4-25-12 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: Corrected typos!
entrecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-26-12, 01:19 PM   #9
lonerunner
Registered

I didnt looked into website code, but as entrecon said you have analytic script loading at start, and some not needed js scripts this may slow it down. If you have request outside your website like google analytic at start of page loading this may slow down your website because it send request to another hosting, than wait for response and not loading rest of website until get response from that script.

I went on http://tools.pingdom.com and noticed something else. if you are loading website without www (just rivetwars.com) website is loading much slower, when you send request with www.rivetwars.com response is 6 seconds faster. I tried that on 2 different browsers and indeed your website is loading much faster with www. in url. From that this looks like bad server configuration or user account on that server (depends how much access user have). And can easily be server problem, not you or wordpress.
lonerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-26-12, 05:15 PM   #10
IanS
Former Spam Filter (EU)

Whilst it may be true in general that different response times for bare (non-www) and www domain names indicate a server problem, I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet. If it were a general mis-configuration or general problem we'd have many people here to say they were experiencing a problem.

Look for solutions to identified or potential issues first.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
Give it a go - ask here first!
IanS is offline   Reply With Quote