PowWeb Forums - The Perfect Community for the Perfect Host  

Register now to interact with over 11,000 members! Registered users have Posting Privileges, free access to Private Messaging, Email Notifications and more.

Go Back   PowWeb Community Forums > Web Site Design > Web Site Design Software and Tools > Other Site Building Tools
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-11, 03:59 AM   #1
jeremy_watt
Registered

Suggestions for user friendly site build?

Hi All,

I'm about to build a site for a friend (I've only ever built for myself and things I'm involved with before), and I wanted to find a userfriendly way for him to update stuff on his page, like a blog or an "upcomig dates" section. Is Wordpress the best way of doing this?-- or something similar? Thanks.
jeremy_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-11, 04:33 AM   #2
jeremy_watt
Registered

May have just found what I was looking for-- sorry for troubling you all!!

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamwea..._site_pt1.html
Old 10-27-11, 11:24 AM   #3
tpoynton
Custom User Title

There are a few options, seems to me: something like Weebly or a 'site builder', a blog like Wordpress, or a CMS like Joomla. There are many options within each category. If you want to check out what updating content on a wordpress blog would be like, create a free wordpress blog to play around with it before installing it on a webserver.

There are other options to accomplish what you want as well; the link you provide above would be more complicated for the person setting up the website, but would provide the same level of ease for updating specified content...
tpoynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-11, 01:32 PM   #4
entrecon
Custom User Title

I would agree taht Wordpress and Joomla are great options. What is nice is that they are both modular and have most of the coding already done. It is easy for your friend to update, but if a few months from now they want more features you can just plug new modules in instead of having to code more pages yourself and integrate them.
Old 10-28-11, 07:01 AM   #5
jeremy_watt
Registered

Have set up a free Wordpress account to check it all out, and it seems easy enough to embed just the blog aspect of it into the site- but I might try and see if I can follow the tutorial on dynamic websites so I have those options if I want them. I'd like to "do it myself" if I can, and if it all proves too much, will opt for Wordpress probably. Will check out CMS and Joomla today too... Thanks- you've been really helpful!!
Old 11-14-11, 02:51 AM   #6
rok0808
Registered

Word press is not for only blogging anymore. With Word press you can easily create static pages and make a full blown site with a blog. You are a bit limited on design and placement unless you really know html and others codes. It is so easy to modify your website from any computer. The add-ons are great and can be installed and deactivated with a couple of clicks.
rok0808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: