PowWeb Forums - The Perfect Community for the Perfect Host  

Register now to interact with over 11,000 members! Registered users have Posting Privileges, free access to Private Messaging, Email Notifications and more.

Go Back   PowWeb Community Forums > Web Site Design > Web Site Design Software and Tools > Other Site Building Tools
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 5-28-09, 12:40 AM   #1
AndrewElliott

What's the best CMS for my friend

My friend wants to build a site, and Iím strongly trying to get him to use Wordpress (or another CMS). His site will focus on Bird Watching. It will need to do the following:

- Picture (gallery) (of his own creation)
- User uploaded pictures
- List of user spotted Birds
- Post articles (ie a blog)

It doesnít sound too complex, but rather build it from scratch Iíve got to believe any number of CMS would be able to do these features.

Any suggestions?
Old 5-28-09, 10:20 AM   #2
Rob_York
The Evil Monkey

Hi there,

I'm a fan of Joomla! which I've found to be fairly flexible and expandible. I know that there are photo gallery plug-ins available for the CMS (Googling them is probably the best way to find them) and the CMS allowed file uploads with various customisable settings. I'm not entirely sure how it would handle the user-spotted birds list. What do you want this list to do? Would it be one huge list of birds spotted by users or would it be like a scorecard for each user to work through? Either way I'd imagine that some custom PHP/SQL would be in order?

Hop this helps,
Rob

Last edited by Rob_York; 5-28-09 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: because I can't spell
Old 5-28-09, 10:27 AM   #3
AndrewElliott

Okay,
Thanks I'll look into Joomla a little bit.

I'm not sure how this list would work, he wasn't very clear, but if need be I could write that portion of the site.
Old 5-28-09, 10:30 AM   #4
Rob_York
The Evil Monkey

If you write your own PHP/SQL based program for Joomla! then there's an installation section in the CMS. I think you would need to supply a .ini file but I may be wrong (I'm a noob to a lot of this)...

Rob

Last edited by Rob_York; 5-28-09 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: because I still can't spell
Old 5-30-09, 11:58 AM   #5
Croc Hunter
Mod.. with bite..

Joomla can do that but I would lean toward phpFusion going by your list. Whatever application you use keep it upto date.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: