PowWeb Forums - The Perfect Community for the Perfect Host  

Register now to interact with over 11,000 members! Registered users have Posting Privileges, free access to Private Messaging, Email Notifications and more.

Go Back   PowWeb Community Forums > Other Forums > Computer Help
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 1-26-05, 02:02 PM   #1
alexfierro

Question Using both External Speakers and Built In Speakers on a Laptop? Possible?

Alright, here's a question but I can't figure out if it's possible. I have a $2000+ laptop, a Toshiba 17" Satellite P25. The speakers in it are great, they're Harman/Kardon's, but I also have a great set of Sicuro Gaming Speakers. When I plug in the speakers to the speaker jack on my laptop, my built in speakers shut off. Is they're anyway to play music/sounds out of both sets of speakers at once??

This is my favorite forum for any and all questions, I know you guys will help me out.

P.S. I am a PowWeb Customer, btw.
Old 1-26-05, 02:56 PM   #2
WATRD
This Space For Rent

Probably not. Muting the internal speakers is usually done mechanically via the jack, not electronically via software. You could dig into the jack and defeat the mute circuit, but then it would always be defeated.
Old 1-26-05, 04:33 PM   #3
YvetteKuhns

Quote:
Is they're anyway to play music/sounds out of both sets of speakers at once??
Are you trying to create surround sound? If so, you could hook up your computer to something that is connected to surround sound. Hmm.... I have a DVD player with surround sound. The old VCR is also connected to it. I didn't try connecting the computer to it (yet).

My son could play his computer games and here it in surround sound! He already has the external speakers too loud. Good thing he doesn't read this forum - he is only seven years old. Don't give him any ideas.
Old 1-26-05, 05:54 PM   #4
(jj)

Just a word of caution, if you were to disable the mute function of the internal jack and use both sets of speakers, it could cause your sound chip to overheat trying to drive all 4 speakers. The preamp in the chip was not designed to run both internal and external speakers at the same time.

(jj)
Jack
(jj)'s Playground
Old 1-26-05, 07:57 PM   #5
Rick_E

Sometimes you can carefully plug the external speakers plug in halfway and get both.

FrontPage has been discontinued and replaced by Expressions Web.
If you plan to stay with FrontPage, consider upgrading to FrontPage 2003 now.

Search the Microsoft Knowledgebase for error messages:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...spid=919&adv=1

Microsoft groups have additional FrontPage assistance:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/
Old 1-26-05, 08:56 PM   #6
Mirzabah
mod_rewrite

You can get an USB audio interface. Creative Labs has a reasonably priced device with full surround sound as well as plain-old stereo (I know this because I have one ). There are also cheaper stereo-only units. For these (and the Creative Labs product) you will need amplifiers. There are integrated USB amplifiers and USB speakers as well, depending on your needs.

Most applications will use either the USB interface, or the internal sound card, not both (assuming they even give you a choice of output device in the first place). DJ software can use a secondary audio device as a monitor for cueing tracks while using the primary audio device for front-of-house. Also, I imagine that some games might be able to take advantage of multiple audio devices, but not being a gamer myself, that is only a guess.

There is nothing that I know of that will let you integrate two audio devices into the one surround system.
Old 1-26-05, 08:59 PM   #7
Mirzabah
mod_rewrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_E
Sometimes you can carefully plug the external speakers plug in halfway and get both.
... and sometimes you can burn out the output transistors of your internal sound card because you've shorted them by not inserting the jack properly
Old 1-26-05, 08:59 PM   #8
YvetteKuhns

Quote:
You can get an USB audio interface. Creative Labs has a reasonably priced device with full surround sound as well as plain-old stereo
Hey, I used to do that. That was before the endless phone calls. Now I don't get to listen to my tunes. My sister still does that.
Closed Thread